Saturday, January 24, 2009

Values or Hobbies? And Conception Chronicles, Vol. 1

So political comedy isn’t dead, even with Bush and Palin gone. I love Jon Stewart. He managed to be hilarious, while saying the best things:

”If you don’t stick to your values when they’re being tested, they’re not values: they’re hobbies.”



You so didn’t sign up for a blog filled with crazy rantings on having a baby, did you? I have decided I will be self-indulgent only on the weekends, and write about writing during the week.

A man just walked into the Fireplace Borders with the cutest baby. I burst into a tears, but when I looked at the baby, she smiled back at me. She smiled at me! She is so precious.

I’ve been tracking my temperature, but twice I got sick a little bit. I got rid of the cold/sore throat right away, but in the morning, my temp was up. (In fact, I discovered my temp goes up a day before I get sick, so next time I’ll Airborne Health it before I get any symptoms.)

Add to that trying to get on a new sleep schedule and going around sleep-deprived, and there is no rhyme or rule yet.

BUT.

This afternoon, I freaked. I got this obsession to throw the computer out the window. Everything was overwhelming. My house is clutter, my time is clutter, everything is a disorganized disaster. There is TOO MUCH TO DO!

And, like I do once a month, I thought to myself: I need to cut things out! I need to take a week off the internet!

Then a little lightbulb went on in my head. Knowing when I'm ovulating is easy. I don't need to know my temperature. I just need to know when I'm ready to chuck my computer out the window and throw everything in my house away. See? Easy-peasy.

Oh! I have the coolest new writing desk. I’m going to lose fifty pounds a week, LOL. I’ll take pictures and tell you all about it on Monday.

How’s your weekend? How’s your writing? How’s your world? I’m off to see Inkheart tonight, thanks to Mark’s recommendation. Have you seen any good movies lately? And did you catch the new season of Burn Notice? Gosh, I love that show! Totally rocks!

29 bonus scribbles:

Sarah Laurenson 1/24/2009 09:29:00 PM  

Slumdog Millionaire

Totally worth the price of admission. This is one I will buy on DVD. One word of warning - it is not the feel good movie of the year. It's the best, but it's no bit of fluff. (But you do leave feeling good.)

spyscribbler 1/24/2009 09:33:00 PM  

People keep saying this, Sarah! Okay, I must go see it. I'll go Thursday night. It's funny: I sorta have to know what I'm getting into before I see a movie, and I don't have a clue what this is. Is it comedy? Drama? I guess I just gotta let it be what it is, LOL. It's a mystery!

Edie 1/24/2009 09:47:00 PM  

Gran Torino. I saw it with my husband and was surprised at how good it was. Great characterization.

Thanks for the Daily Show video. I haven't seen it in awhile. I can always use a laugh.

Charles Gramlich 1/24/2009 11:07:00 PM  

I really liked what STewart said about values.

Realmcovet 1/24/2009 11:24:00 PM  

Throwing your computer out your window, eh? I know the feeling. :)

I loved the new episode of Burn Notice. And I want to see Ink Heart too. There is a whole slew of movies I've gotten behind on seeing. I'm still pissed that I haven't seen Milk.

laughingwolf 1/24/2009 11:25:00 PM  

been sick most of the week, myself :(

as for flicks, not seen any for some time

doing and redoing my flash 55s... 5 per week, to meet aerin's requirements for her challenge of 12,000 for the year, and forces me to tell a complete story in exactly 55 words, five times a week

meanwhile doing a rewrite of a wip, pondering another

need to teach myself some animation software i got, different mindset from writing, but still storytelling

Melanie Avila 1/25/2009 01:24:00 AM  

Spy, you crack me up. I've been having the same thing the past two days but it's been painful. Not fun.

My sister & mom is here and I have more books, including three of Evanovich's (I told them not to bring all of them), the writing books, AND New Moon & Eclipse. Have I mentioned I'm obsessed?

Barrie 1/25/2009 02:16:00 AM  

Oh, I want to see this Desk of Weight Reduction! I recently watched on DVD: Death at a Funeral (very, very funny) and Then She Found Me (loved this movie too)

Robin 1/25/2009 10:57:00 AM  

We saw Gran Torino last night. I'm with Edie. It was terrific. Very heart warming. We're seeing Slumdog today. My friend is a movie buff and she said, "It was the best movie I ever saw."

Virginia Lady 1/25/2009 11:22:00 AM  

The emotional response to the baby at the store is a good clue to ovulating as well, Spy. I'm way behind on movies. I never seem to have the time to go. I love Stewart's take on values. What a great way to put it.

Kate S 1/25/2009 02:28:00 PM  

Aw, sweetie - I've missed a lot around here lately. Best wishes for the baby making. :)

I remember those days. For years, I shed tears thinking I'd NEVER have one. Now she's 16.

And I'm ready to send her back... lol

Barbara Martin 1/25/2009 11:59:00 PM  

I'm looking forward to seeing Inkheart...anything with Brendan Fraser in it.

spyscribbler 1/26/2009 10:11:00 AM  

Edie, that's another one I want to see. Many, I really need to write fast and take a day at the movie theater!

spyscribbler 1/26/2009 10:12:00 AM  

Cracked me up, Charles!

spyscribbler 1/26/2009 10:15:00 AM  

Oh, Realm, I wanted to see Milk, too! It's at this theater 45 minutes away, and I keep procrastinating going.

spyscribbler 1/26/2009 10:16:00 AM  

I hope you feel better, Laughing Wolf!

Wow, that challenge sounds fun. And hard! And fun! Good luck!

spyscribbler 1/26/2009 10:16:00 AM  

Aww, Melanie, at least you won't feel lonely when they leave. You'll have Edward! :-)

spyscribbler 1/26/2009 10:17:00 AM  

Barrie, I'm trying to get my camera to work! I haven't heard of any of those movies. But I opened NetFlix instant, and the first movie suggested was "Miss Conception." LOL!

spyscribbler 1/26/2009 10:18:00 AM  

Robin, both of those are on my list this week!

spyscribbler 1/26/2009 10:19:00 AM  

Virginia, I think I do that every day of the month, LOL. I think I also scared the father, LOL!

spyscribbler 1/26/2009 10:20:00 AM  

Hey, Kate! It's been awhile! I've been wondering how you're doing.

I really want this to happen with my whole heart!

spyscribbler 1/26/2009 10:21:00 AM  

Barbara, for some odd reason, I don't particularly care for Brendan Frasier, but he did a great job in this movie!

Lauren 1/26/2009 11:42:00 AM  

I love that quote. It's so true.

It's good that you figured out that your temp goes up a day before you get sick, even though that is not what you were going for.

I hope you had fun at Inkheart.

spyscribbler 1/26/2009 11:58:00 AM  

Lauren, definitely useful information, LOL! I enjoyed Inkheart a lot, but I was disappointed it didn't completely sweep me away. I think I'd built it up too much in my head. I loved the premise, I loved the acting, and I loved all of it. So I don't know why I feel this way.

I think I wanted to be scared more.

Robin 1/26/2009 12:04:00 PM  

Yes, you must see Slumdog Millionaire! I predict it will win the Academy Award. It's terrific! (But I must warn you as you're anxious for a baby - and hormonal - that there are some disturbing images.)

Burn Notice rocked! I love that show! Michael is the greatest hero!

Melissa Marsh 1/26/2009 12:48:00 PM  

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. GREAT flick.

spyscribbler 1/26/2009 12:52:00 PM  

Robin, it sounds like a must see! And Michael is a DREAM! I thought he was dorky at first, but.. nope, LOL!

spyscribbler 1/26/2009 12:52:00 PM  

Melissa, I loved that movie! I keep meaning to see it again before it leaves the theaters!

Angie 1/26/2009 02:21:00 PM  

The husband and I went to see Benjamin Button and Marley and Me, and we enjoyed both of them. Benjamin Button rocked (although the sound was screwed up in our theater -- not all of it, just the music and only in places [flail]) and it deserves the pile of award nominations it got. Marley was fun, but the book was better.

I'm on the home stretch of my current WIP. It's almost at 70K words, and it'll probably hit 80K before I'm done. It'll be the longest thing I've ever finished, so preliminary cheers, yay!

Have you ever thought of taking up boxing or kick-boxing or anything like that...? Seriously, it's great exercise, and once you have the techniques down, you can just do it once a month when you feel like trashing stuff anyway. Get it out of your system and get a workout at the same time. :)

Angie