Sunday, January 11, 2009

What Makes You Happy?

Wendy tagged me, and since I've had a case of blogger's block, lately, I'm excited to play! Here are six things that make me happy:

  1. Glenn. Except when he's out of town, and that makes me very sad. (He's traveling on a boat at the moment, so no contact for seven or eight days. *insert sad face*)
  2. My niece. My best friend. They're just the best.
  3. My Kindle. My Kindle makes me very happy. Reading makes me very happy. Carrying 400 books in my hand at all times makes me so happy, it's practically a turn-on. (Yes, in my hand, literally. I am much worse with my Kindle than I was with my security blanket when I was 3.)
  4. My cats, all four of them. :-)
  5. Writing.
  6. The movie theater. Oh, man, I really love the movie theater.

What are six things that make you happy?

31 bonus scribbles:

Lisa 1/11/2009 02:13:00 PM  

You have 4 kitties. Ahhhh. . . I thought you were a sweet person now it's confirmed.

I have a kitty curled up on my lap. Actually, the avatar is a photo of my scarlet while she's sitting on my lap - she's a cutie.

spyscribbler 1/11/2009 02:39:00 PM  

Aw, he's a cutie, Lisa! I love black cats. Everyone I've known has been a sweetheart.

I meant to include pictures of my babies in this post; I got sidetracked. I'll have to do one soon!

Stewart Sternberg 1/11/2009 02:43:00 PM  

to tell you the truth, I've been a little down for some time. I'm not sure about happiness, that's one of those words that seems to be thrown about without enough thought behind it. Some people do the same with an "I love you."

That being said, I think happiness for me something that is temporary and so one has to grab it and savor it. I could answer with "finishing a short story" or "seeing my dogs cavort"...I could answer with "contentment at the end of the day.."

Okay. Enough

Melanie Avila 1/11/2009 03:30:00 PM  

I like to say I'm a happy person in general, but this year has really tested me. Well, the past two years, but '09 especially. The first thing that came to mind when I read the question is my writing & what I've accomplished with it makes me happy. I haven't submitted it and it's not even completely polished, but the fact that I'm still excited about my story while on the third draft gives me hope.

Edie 1/11/2009 04:01:00 PM  

I was going to name off a list of things, including my husband, dog, cat, family, etc. But Stewart is right. Sometimes I'm happy for no reason. I wake up happy. Other times I wake up kind of blah.

Today we walked, something we haven't done for awhile, because the streets are slippery. It felt good. It made me happy. Instead of following an exercise routine, I've made up my own, interspersing dancing with core exercises and weight lifts to music. That makes me happy. I could go on, but this is getting too long.

Kath Calarco 1/11/2009 05:10:00 PM  

Six things that make me happy:

1. Dark chocolate
2. Stoly martini
3. A fresh snow fall
4. The UPS man
5. Shoes
6. The success of my friends.

Aerin 1/11/2009 05:16:00 PM  

Hey lady! Checking in on the writer's challenge - welcome! Be sure to check out writers-challenge.blogspot.com for our updates page!

(BTW, I'm happy to give you the tabbed sidebar coding any time you want it!)

Robin 1/11/2009 06:17:00 PM  

This is easy!
1. Chocolate Pop Tarts
2. Cherry frosted Pop Tarts
3. Strawberry frosted Pop Tarts
4. Blueberry frosted Pop Tarts
5. Organic Acai Berry Pop Tarts
6. milk to wash down all the Pop Tarts

Charles Gramlich 1/11/2009 06:42:00 PM  

Makes me want a Kindle now. I've been wanting to buy one.

Lana and books and my son Josh make me happy.

Erica Orloff 1/11/2009 07:53:00 PM  

1. Demon Baby
2. The smell of the air just before it snows
3. Oldest Daughter, Oldest Son, Youngest Daughter when they are joyful
4. Opening my windows and sleeping with them wide open when it's raining
5. The perfect martini
6. Walking barefoot in grass

And like everyone . . . it's just sometimes "because."
E

Heather Harper 1/11/2009 08:41:00 PM  

Small stuff. Quality herbal tea makes me verra happy.

StarvingWriteNow 1/11/2009 09:46:00 PM  

What makes me happy?

Purring kitties
Hugs from Son
Knowing I've helped someone, made a difference
Music
That first cup of coffee
Being held, safe and warm, in the arms of my man (he's got fabulous arms)
Blue skies and the smell of earth and the sound of water
Catnaps

there's so much to be happy over in this life. so much.

Zoe Winters 1/11/2009 10:25:00 PM  

hehehe I should have known you'd mention your Kindle. hahahahaha.

Aerin 1/12/2009 12:29:00 PM  

Hey N - I passed on an award to you: http://www.insearchofgiants.com/2009/01/prmio-dardos.html

Pink Ink 1/12/2009 01:22:00 PM  

The kindle would make my 13 year old's list.

Mine are: gumballs, purple clothes, my beagle baby Emmie, sleeping in on Sundays, a story that comes together, oreo cookies and Keith Urban's song "Sweet Thing".

Oops that was seven. Do I get extra points?

colbymarshall 1/12/2009 02:14:00 PM  

Yay for cats! My friend just built my kitties a perch so they can look out the window- yay!

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 05:50:00 PM  

Stewart, all good answers. I love finishing. (I overuse "love" a lot. :-) To be honest, I find happiness a little unpredictable, and having little to do with life circumstances and more to do with hormones and chemical reactions in my brain, LOL. It's odd, really.

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 05:52:00 PM  

Melanie, it should give you hope! I love your story. And I'm hoping the rest of '09 is filled with good news and happiness. I really am.

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 05:53:00 PM  

Edie, I love walking with someone. That's nice! And I agree with you and Stewart: sometimes I just am or am not, depending on who knows what?

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 05:53:00 PM  

Kath, you know what I love about a snow fall? That hush. That real quiet it gets, where the whole world is silent except for the muffled sound of snow falling. Gosh, I really love that.

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 05:54:00 PM  

Aerin, that would be AWESOME! I do want it! I'll be emailing you soon!

THANK YOU!

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 05:55:00 PM  

Robin, I was with you on the first three!

Organic Acai Berry Pop Tarts:
That sounds too healthy to be yummy enough for a pop tart!

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 05:56:00 PM  

Charles, I love my Kindle. It's wonderful. I get three times as much reading done!

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 05:57:00 PM  

Erica, I love thunderstorms! And sleeping while it rains. I love the smell of it, the chill that makes me cozy under the covers. I used to sleep out in my screened-in porch, every time it rained, growing up!

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 05:57:00 PM  

Heather, the small stuff is the most important stuff of all, I think. :-)

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 05:58:00 PM  

Writenow, you are in love now, aren't you? You sound like you're in love! :-)

Purring kitties rock. And being held is the best!

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 05:59:00 PM  

Zoe, you know me too well!

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 06:03:00 PM  

Thanks, Aerin! I'm totally blushing!

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 06:04:00 PM  

Pink Ink, not only do you get bonus points for seven, but you get bonus points for Oreos and gumballs. :-)

spyscribbler 1/12/2009 06:04:00 PM  

Colby, that's so cool! Glenn wants to build the cats one of those!

Dube 1/14/2009 01:01:00 AM  

Cats make me happy too! But you could probably see that from my blog, lol. :-P

(PS: Read your response to me in your other post... Dog sitting would be FUN. I should look into doing that sometime!)