Friday, January 09, 2009

Writing in the Bathtub. Playing Favorites. And Kittens, Lots of Kittens, Thank God.

I am currently writing in my bathtub. This is awesome and the first time I have managed to arrange this, but it is now my number one favorite place to write.

imageI have one all-time favorite reader. Of course, she doesn't know it, and you know, I figure that'd be a weird thing to tell someone, right?

Anyway, she's read my stuff from the beginning. She's a cool person, but I also adore her because she wrote me from my very first story and for years after, pointing out all my mistakes. (There are many, LOL! Especially the old ones.)

image Man, I used to get SO mad at myself after I received her emails. I swear, I'd sit down with my next WIP and work so hard to get it right, to not let my readers down. To this day, I still think of her every time I edit.

Then she didn't write me for a couple years, and I was a little bummed. (I switched emails, but didn't have a web site at the time.)

image I don't like to let my readers down. I can be annoying and cocky as any other writer, I'm sure, but I can't think of anything I feel more deeply as I feel the dismay at letting down someone who bothers to read my stuff. 

She is definitely my number one favorite reader. Wouldn't be the writer I am, without her. How can you not love that? 

imageI guess I'm a-ramblin' today. I guess y'all know I've just hit about the 3/4 mark in the WIP, which is typically when I completely unravel and freak out and become convinced I'm' actually getting worse. 

The enormous number of kitten pictures in this post is a long story. Okay, well, at first, I included more of my neurotic freak-out, in which I used the word excruciating. When I went to find some blog images, I googled "excruciating" images. (Do NOT, please, pretty please.) And to undo the horrible awfulness that popped up on my page, I gathered a bunch of kitten pictures.

 



Ever see something you wish you hadn't? Hear something you wish you hadn't? Do you have a favorite reader?

Ever take your laptop and write in the bathtub?

And do you have a point in your stories, where you typically freak out and become a little neurotic?

42 bonus scribbles:

rjkeller 1/09/2009 01:56:00 AM  

I wish I could take my laptop into the tub with me! For whatever reason, I get my best inspiration in the powder room, regardless of what it is I'm doing in there.

Did you invent a waterproof laptop and not tell me????

Melanie Avila 1/09/2009 09:06:00 AM  

Spy, please don't electrocute yourself. I'm sure you have a sturdy table or something set up, but that makes me nervous.

I hope you've learned your lesson when it comes to google. Kind of like lawyers who don't ask witnesses on the stand questions that they don't already know the answer to, don't type in words that could have horrible pictures. Ugh. :)

I'm hitting a wall now and I'm so tired of my story. Mainly, I'm tired of the club scene and I'm smack dab in the middle of it. I just need to keep pushing through.

Mark Terry 1/09/2009 09:22:00 AM  

What? No photograph of you writing in the bathtub?

Janna Qualman 1/09/2009 09:51:00 AM  

What an apt post! Last night I read about King's support of the thought that each writer writes with one reader in mind.

Please tell me you did something other than balance the laptop on your knees... ;)

Charles Gramlich 1/09/2009 10:08:00 AM  

Just the mere sight of cute kitties improves my day.

Not as much as writing in the tub would, of course.

Edie 1/09/2009 10:25:00 AM  

I'm a shower taker, and don't think it would be a good idea to bring my laptop into the shower. When you first mentioned your "all-time favorite reader," I thought you meant your cat. Cute pics!

My wip is tough, so I'm going through mini freak-outs. I'm toughing it out and when I'm done, will revise like a crazy writer.

StarvingWriteNow 1/09/2009 11:08:00 AM  

omg, if I tried to write with the laptop in the tub I'd drop the damned thing in and 1)fry the system then 2)electrocute myself because I'd have it plugged in because the battery no longer holds a charge. I'm having a vision...

kathulhu 1/09/2009 12:00:00 PM  

Hey, thanks for the encouraging words! I kept telling myself, "I'll start tomorrow" and here I am, almost 150 lbs. overweight and I realized that TODAY is tomorrow. That made absolutly no sense but you get my point.

And that green chick on my page is totally buff. She kicks my ass on my step aerobics DVD every other day. I want to be her when I grow up although not as buff cause I do want to keep some curves :)

Kath Calarco 1/09/2009 01:34:00 PM  

Yes, I always freak out at some point and at no specific one. It's a writer's right of passage to be neurotic, so you just have to embrace it for what it is. :)

As far as writing in the tub - I'm a shower girl, but let me tell you, most of my brainstorming happens in the one place where there's no pen or pad in sight. Why is that?

LaDonna 1/09/2009 02:19:00 PM  

Spy, love the kitten pics! And funny you mentioned it, but yesterday I'm scrolling a website and see this horrific, mutilated body right there! I mean, it was just there. So, I know what you mean about not wanting to see, but it's too late. I got off the site, and went to some more peaceful sites. Btw, the one I was on had to do with current global changes. The body pic had to do with a prediction of sorts...I didn't dare read more, cause I was nauseous at this point.

And yes, I always think at some point during story, "Will this story be satisfying, will I tell the story it's meant to be?"

Susan Helene Gottfried 1/09/2009 02:30:00 PM  

I think you read my rant about the book that traumatized me, possibly for life. So you know all about that.

As for the kittens, thanks! I am concerned my one cat isn't going to see her fifteenth birthday, so we've begun hunting for a new pair. Yes, I said pair. Two.

I may be nuts (I could wind up with four cats!), but writing in the bathtub is totally beyond the scope of my imagination. I'm assuming you're not in a soaking tub filled with water, but rather propped up with pillows and candles and other luxury?

Amy Nathan 1/09/2009 02:34:00 PM  

Is there water in the bathtub or just you and laptop? I have trouble not getting a book wet in the tub. Be careful over there, SS.

I obsess about it all always...but I also remember to let it go momentarily to do things like, um, read blogs about writing in the bathtub!! ;)

Robin 1/09/2009 04:55:00 PM  

I love that you're writing in the bathtub. I couldn't in a million years. I'd be terrified of dropping my laptop into the water so wouldn't be able to concentrate on my story. And I need all the concentration I can get!

Have a great weekend!
(Love the kitten pictures too. They'd erase any bad image.)

Robin 1/09/2009 05:14:00 PM  

I love to read in the bathtub. I put on a face mask and condition my hair while I read. I look like a zombie reading a book.

I have something to confess....I was that reader. Yes, it was me! If you'd really like to express your appreciation, (after all, I made you the writer you are today), you can give me a list of your favorite classicle records of all time. That will make us even.

Liz Kreger 1/09/2009 05:36:00 PM  

Couldn't write in the bathtub. I'm too much of a klutz. Personally, I enjoy writing sitting up in bed with the laptop.

Love the kitten photos and was wondering what was with them. LOL

colbymarshall 1/09/2009 05:40:00 PM  

I do some of my best thinking in the tub when trying to figure out plot for a novel, which partly explains why I take SO many baths. But I don't take the 'puter in there because I'm too clumsy.

Congrats on 3/4 the way! Awesome!

Melanie Avila 1/09/2009 05:58:00 PM  

Is anyone else concerned that Spy hasn't returned? I hope she wasn't writing in the tub again...

spyscribbler 1/09/2009 06:03:00 PM  

RJ, me too! I wish they would invent a waterproof laptop; I'd write while in the shower!

McKoala 1/09/2009 06:04:00 PM  

I'm also wondering about the water in the tub! I like to read in the bath, but haven't done it for years - my bathing life consists of speedy showers now and books turn to mush.

Three quarters is the hardest point, I think. It's when you know you have to start tying things together for that excellent ending and I also think there is a little regret that you will soon be leaving your characters behind. I cried all over my keyboard once while killing off somebody who I really liked. He had to go, but it hurt.

spyscribbler 1/09/2009 06:06:00 PM  

Good point, Melanie! I was picturing a nice little cartoon character with an excruciating expression on her face!

Aww, good luck getting through the rest. I hate when I hit that point! That's when I start drinking tons of coffee!

spyscribbler 1/09/2009 06:07:00 PM  

Hah! Mark! No photo. :-)

spyscribbler 1/09/2009 06:07:00 PM  

Janna, yes, I put a laptop tray across the top of the bathtub. It worked well!

spyscribbler 1/09/2009 06:08:00 PM  

Charles, I love kittens. (I have four cats.) It takes everything I have not to bring a new one home every time I go to PetsMart!

spyscribbler 1/09/2009 06:09:00 PM  

Edie, I'm water crazy. When I have time, I lay in the bathtub while the shower fills up the bath. Then I soak. Then, when I'm done, I take another shower to clean.

It's a little crazy.

spyscribbler 1/09/2009 06:09:00 PM  

Writenow, I hope I don't do that! Although I was pretty nervous, at first!

Melissa Marsh 1/09/2009 06:55:00 PM  

I'm not a big fan of baths anyway. I know, I know... :-) Every once in awhile, I'll relax in the bath with a good book, but I've never taken my laptop with me. :-)

spyscribbler 1/09/2009 07:12:00 PM  

Kath, I definitely need someone to kick my butt every day, and a green chick sounds like fun. :-)

And I was doing pretty good, but yesterday I ordered a pizza. But that's no excuse to fall off the wagon. I'm back on today!

Barbara Martin 1/10/2009 12:08:00 AM  

To be young enough again to get in and out of a tub without incident. Sigh. Kitten pics are cute and inspiring. Love the first one...who'd it shoot?

spyscribbler 1/10/2009 09:30:00 AM  

Kath (Calarco), I LOVE the shower! In fact, there is something about the shower that just gets my ideas flowing. I usually use the shower to fill the bathtub, LOL.

You are SO right about the pen and paper!

spyscribbler 1/10/2009 09:32:00 AM  

LaDonna, I so get that! I've honestly never seen a more horrible picture in my life. I couldn't believe it. It was a tiny thumbnail, so I hope I wasn't seeing what I thought i was seeing, and I hope it was for something medical and not for enjoyment or something, but they really freaked me out!

spyscribbler 1/10/2009 09:35:00 AM  

Susan, I read all your posts, silly! I do remember that one. It makes me intrigued to read the book, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough. I just added Kommandment's Girl to my list, I think from your recommendation awhile back.

We have four cats! Total accident. I only got one on purpose. :-) They're great. There's always one available for cuddling, and that suits me well. I'm high maintenance. :-)

spyscribbler 1/10/2009 09:37:00 AM  

LOL, yes, there's water in it, Amy. It's really the only place I can get warm, sometimes. I have a naturally low temp, and sometimes I get cold, and no amount of clothing can get me warm. So writing in the bathtub is a DREAM for me!

spyscribbler 1/10/2009 09:38:00 AM  

Thanks, Robin! Have a great weekend, too!

Yeah, I was pretty nervous at first, but I think I've got a sturdy setup. I also sort of have my knees as a backup, in case the table slips. And if the table slips, the laptop is last. :-)

spyscribbler 1/10/2009 09:44:00 AM  

Robin, yes, it must have been! Who else could it have been? You are my all-time favorite reader! :-)

My favorite classical recordings probably aren't the best, but they just happened to get into my heart:
Jacqueline du Pre playing the Elgar concerto, Peter Serkin playing the Bach Two and Three Part Inventions, Barbara Bonney and Warren Jones doing some art songs, the Prokofiev Piano Concertos played by some Russian pianist with a black and white cover (I can't remember his name!), and Brahms symphonies played by pretty much anyone. (I think I've got the Cleveland orchestra, but I'm not sure. I tend to stick to the Vienna & Berlin Philharmonic. (The latter two are my favorites.)

spyscribbler 1/10/2009 09:46:00 AM  

Liz, writing in the bed is pretty cool, too, except I tend to fall asleep. I can fall asleep at any time during the day, unfortunately. Staying awake is difficult for me. :-)

spyscribbler 1/10/2009 09:47:00 AM  

Colby, I take a ton of baths, too! I could LIVE in the bathtub! Between two showers and a bath, I can spend HOURS in there.

spyscribbler 1/10/2009 09:51:00 AM  

LOL, Melanie! I'm safe! :-)

spyscribbler 1/10/2009 09:52:00 AM  

McKoala, you are brave! I've never killed off a big character, I don't think. I should, sometime!

I love reading in the tub, too!

spyscribbler 1/10/2009 09:53:00 AM  

Aww, Melissa, I love baths. It's crazy how much I love baths!

spyscribbler 1/10/2009 09:55:00 AM  

Barbara, the day I can't get into the bathtub will be a miserable one, for sure! Though I do have my fair share of incidents. :-)

Dube 1/10/2009 02:53:00 PM  

What has seen can never be unseen... I will take your word for it and never Google excruciating pictures. I bet it was awful!

But thanks for the kitten pics. :)

It's great that you have a favorite reader like that. What a blessing! And congrats on getting 3/4 of the way through. That's a great accomplishment. As far as freaking out and thinking your work is awful - well, I do that about my own work on a daily basis, lol. :-P

Robin 1/10/2009 09:29:00 PM  

Spy, thanks for the info! I'm so excited!! Yay!!