Friday, February 13, 2009

All the Possibilities. And the Cave.

This gave me a real good self-employed giggle:image In times like these, a person like me starts brainstorming ways to make money. Most of my ideas involve lots of work now and maybe some money down the road. Isn’t it always that way?

But I like the way I live. I like having the ability to try different things, to make money all by myself. I like that I have the time and the lifestyle to just up and add a whole new aspect to my work life.

It feels like freedom. It’s empowering, too. As much as I believe that the universe wants us each for a specific purpose and will drive us crazy if we don’t do it, I also like being the master of my own fate.

imageI’m a little overwhelmed, though. I have so many ideas! Which ones to focus on? Which direction to go? How much time to spend where?

I need to go into a cave and figure it out. And get a ton of writing done. And my health is a little wacky at the moment. I gotta get that worked out.

I’m sorry! I’ll be back in a bit. I will keep reading your blogs, and I might even comment!

So how do you deal when you feel pulled in so many directions, and so behind you feel it’s almost impossible to catch up? How do you decide which direction to go next, when there are so many options?

33 bonus scribbles:

Edie 2/14/2009 12:15:00 AM  

Spy, I'll miss you, but sometimes we all need our caves. You take care of yourself.

I feel pulled and behind all the time. I finally decided I need to focus on the ATV contest and after that I'll go back to my wip. Otherwise it's too overwhelming.

Bevie 2/14/2009 08:29:00 AM  

"So how do you deal when you feel pulled in so many directions"

Generally, I do what you do: I shut down. Which is what I'm thinking of doing, too. Too much going on.

"I will keep reading your blogs, and I might even comment!"

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at, too. Hope things get together soon for you. This is a nice place to visit. But it needs you here.

Susan Helene Gottfried 2/14/2009 09:39:00 AM  

Nose to the grindstone and slug through it. How to choose? Prioritize. It's not set in stone; if you need to switch up and work on something else, you can -- and probably should.

Melanie Avila 2/14/2009 10:49:00 AM  

There must be something in the air. I don't have a lot of projects to worry about, but I do want to hide in a cave. I hope you get everything in line. :)

Charles Gramlich 2/14/2009 01:03:00 PM  

I know what you mean by feeling pulled in many directions. I'm feeling that now at school. I usually tell myself, "this too shall pass," and eventually things will get back to normal.

I'm brainstorming money ideas myself but so far nothing concrete.

Zoe Winters 2/14/2009 06:30:00 PM  

There is something really magical about making money "all by yourself" isn't there?

It's like making money becomes a creative process in and of itself.

I need to go into my Cave too, but for different reasons, though I'm just as overwhelmed. I've got blog posts scheduled through Tuesday then I'm going to be blog AFK until next Saturday.

We should send each other letters from our caves. :P

Kate S 2/14/2009 08:58:00 PM  

Agreeing with the others - it seems to be in the air. I've also been thinking of going further into hiding while I figure out where my limited energy should be focused.

I hope the way becomes clear to you soon - and feel better!

{{hugs}}

marciacolette 2/14/2009 11:01:00 PM  

The weird thing is if I work on all of those differnent directions, one will eventually stand out. That makes it easy to explore all possibilites and even make an informed decision.

Georgie B 2/15/2009 06:44:00 AM  

Personally, I find that working on multiple things (novel, short stories, blog, chat rooms) keeps me sane, and most importantly, out of trouble at work.

A bored mind is a restless mind, which in turns becomes a troubled mind.

In any event, do what you need to do in order to get yourself properly situated and on an even keel again.

Balance is good.

We'll still be here when you're ready to come back.

Kath Calarco 2/15/2009 11:16:00 AM  

Spy, I'm learning in my Stress Management class various ways to deal. First and foremost, you have to relax. Take walks, simple stretches, listen to music - whatever works. Also, write about it in a journal. I garnered that skill back when I read Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way". (Highly recommend to EVERYONE.)

Stress causes health issues. Who needs more health issues?

You take care. Stepping back to assess will help.

Robin 2/15/2009 11:23:00 AM  

I'll miss you, Spy! I'm so sorry you don't feel well. If there's anything I can do, let me know. Psychiatrists are really useful about medical stuff. We say helpful things like, "How do you feel about that?" Or "That must really hurt."

Once, my friend came over with her finger almost cut off, and I said, "Ew! Go to the E.R., Dumby!"

LaDonna 2/15/2009 11:42:00 AM  

Spy, be good to yourself! We all have a cave, and sometimes it's the best place to find answers. There's so much energy swirling around in daily lives, and keeping yours healthy is so important.

A big cyber hug your way!

spyscribbler 2/15/2009 01:00:00 PM  

Thanks, Edie! I've been feeling that, too, for weeks! I just have tons of stuff to get done. I can't wait to get it all out of the way, though!

spyscribbler 2/15/2009 01:02:00 PM  

Thanks, Bevie! I'll try to be back soon. I just need to get taxes done, a couple stories done, and my house organized. Then I'll be back!

spyscribbler 2/15/2009 01:02:00 PM  

Susan, good advice! My other mantra, lately, has been: "You can only do so much in a day. It's okay to quarter-finish something!"

spyscribbler 2/15/2009 01:03:00 PM  

Thanks, Melanie! This is, of course, accompanied by a mass throwing away and donating of everything in my house. Gosh, I hate stuff!

spyscribbler 2/15/2009 01:05:00 PM  

Charles, you're right! And now it looks like we might have to move. UGH! It never seems to stop, sometimes.

spyscribbler 2/15/2009 01:06:00 PM  

Zoe, YES! TOTALLY! That's it exactly!!!! It's a thrilling and creative process!

spyscribbler 2/15/2009 01:13:00 PM  

Thanks, Kate! I know what you mean. Except already, I miss everyone!

spyscribbler 2/15/2009 01:14:00 PM  

That's a good point, Marcia. Very cool! I'd actually decided to focus in one direction, and another is suddenly giving me opportunities. :-)

spyscribbler 2/15/2009 01:19:00 PM  

Georgie, good to know! I already miss you guys!

Speaking of which, I need to get to work!

spyscribbler 2/15/2009 01:20:00 PM  

Kath, thanks! I'll keep that in mind. There's just so much to do, it's amazing to me! But my hubbie, bless his soul, told me to call someone to get the house cleaned! That'll help, LOL!

spyscribbler 2/15/2009 01:23:00 PM  

LOL! Robin, you crack me up. I've missed you the past week or so!

I bet I'll feel better when I get half this stuff done. :-)

spyscribbler 2/15/2009 01:24:00 PM  

LaDonna, thank you! And that's it exactly: I need to stop the swirl! I'm dizzy!

Aimless Writer 2/15/2009 08:56:00 PM  

Wow, I always feel pulled in many directions. Ideas come at me constantly and I would love, love, love to freelance. However I write fiction and I can't seem to find a world for my shorts. One of the women in my writing group told me to try for true confessions. I told her I led too boring a life and she laughed (and clued me in).
A cave? Sounds like heaven.
Right now I have a job that feels like tickytacky (Do you watch Weeds? Then you'll understand tickytacky.)

Sarah Laurenson 2/15/2009 09:49:00 PM  

Darts and a dartboard. I actually do have a little dartboard with the answers on it. Haven't drug that out in awhile.

I am currently working on lessening my guilt level. I gave up, temporarily, one of my volunteer gigs. I haven't been able to do it in months and I kept feeling bad about saying 'not this time'. I'm also trying to lessen the amount of stress in my life - period, but it seems this week is crazier than normal so I'm not sure it's working.

Having lots of options is a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing to know there are options out there and not think this one way is the only way. It's a curse in trying to decide which road to take. I try to keep in mind that I can usually change my mind and try a different path later.

I'm finally catching up on my blog reading this weekend. Then I'll fall behind this week. Can't have everything, I suppose. I keep trying to.

kathulhu 2/16/2009 12:17:00 AM  

Hey, could you share some of those ideas? I could take a lesson in self-employment right now :) And thanks for all of your encouraging comments. I really appreciate it!

Lisa 2/16/2009 01:56:00 PM  

Spy- could you tell me how you edit your blog post again and manage to get the images right where you want them?
I can't find the post where you told me. thanks - lisa

lainey bancroft 2/16/2009 01:58:00 PM  

Hope things are becoming clear in the cave, Spy! And if so, I hope you'll share the method, because frequent escapes to my cave haven't served to help me get my $hit together. lol

We miss you!

Avery DeBow 2/16/2009 02:42:00 PM  

I just focus on whatever howler monkey in my head is shrieking the loudest. Once it's quieted down, I move on to the next hairy little beast craving my attention.

Janet 2/16/2009 03:04:00 PM  

I've dealt with this in different ways throughout the past. Prayer for guidance has always been an important part. I decided on my major by realizing that while I was interested in almost everything, it was only my language classes that I still enjoyed in June.

Doors that close on their own have also prompted a lot of decisions. My chronic fatigue has closed so many doors for me that decision-making has become much simpler.

If a few more were open, I'd try to achieve a balance between what I enjoy doing and what the chances of success were.

And life priorities help too.

Lauren 2/17/2009 10:35:00 AM  

I used to freelance. I loved it, but I wanted to move to management. Maybe one day I will go back. I do miss getting paid by the hour.

I totally hear you on the pulled in too many directions. Usually I make a list and prioritize it (1-5 ranking verses individually) as best I can. I try to spend at most 20 minutes on this. Then I just go one by one down my list. If it's not my current item I am not allowed to worry about it. I put a dot next to the item I am working on and the sense of accomplishment when I cross something off is awesome. That system really does seem to help me when I'm overwhelmed.

Also, if something new pops up, I just add it to the list, assign the right priority to it and move along. You can jump from one task to another, but then you have moved your focus point.

Good luck getting caught up!

Barbara Martin 2/21/2009 12:30:00 AM  

Taking a break, sitting back and meditating on which path to take will give you the answer you seek, Spy.