Thursday, February 19, 2009

Okay, That Didn’t Work

image I thought leaving blogging off my schedule would help me get things done. But it’s only made me more lonely.

It’s really hard to write anything to do with romance when your dearest is thousands of miles away. In fact, it’s almost repulsive. As much as I miss him, I’ve gone into this ridiculous stage where I’m sorta mad at him for being away, even though them’s the breaks and we’re doing what we need to do for our goals. It’s not like he decided all by himself he should go. We both did. We’re at the midpoint: he’s been gone two months and he’ll be back in two months.

I’m also depressed because it’s Thursday and I’d hoped to have so much done. But taxes aren’t done yet, the re-organization of the house isn’t done, the car isn’t done, and I’m stuck on writing. There are a million annoying little things to be done.

I’ve written seven beginnings this week and they all just look like crap to me, and I have absolutely no desire to write them.

I just really hoped I would have a couple days where I was caught up. I’m tired of constantly working and yet always being behind.

image Well, geeze, aren’t I a real swell sort to be around today? Will find happy juice and a happy post this evening.

It looks like it’ll be a year before the conception plan will be able to go full force. Unless I do it without maternity coverage and pay out of pocket.

So here’s the plan: an hour finishing my funk. An hour hanging out on your blogs. And then finish one of the many chapters I’ve abandoned this week.

Magic de-funking fairy dust would be appreciated. Hey, I have an idea for a new word: defunkification. Cool, huh? Must defunkify. Must find a funny and brilliant post to share with you guys. Must find a story that captures my heart (and pays the bills).

What works for you?

41 bonus scribbles:

Janna Qualman 2/19/2009 10:45:00 AM  

"Oh d-d-d-dear," she said in the voice of Piglet.

I hope things turn around for you! All this thinking over and breaking down of the stuff you've got to deal with is the first step, though. You're on your way to making progress!

I flounder when it comes to balance. It is not my forte.

Edie 2/19/2009 10:47:00 AM  

Spy, hug your kitties, though I'm sure you do that anyway. I hope you get defunked soon. (Love the word.) I'm sending happy vibes your way.

Is there a great book you can read? When I'm feeling lousy about my life, I like to sink into a fictional life with a happy ending. It recharges me.

Susan Helene Gottfried 2/19/2009 10:56:00 AM  

Sounds like you need some Trevor. Mitchell's Ears comes immediately to mind.

http://blog.westofmars.com/2007/06/18/monday-poetry-train-mitchells-ears/

StarvingWriteNow 2/19/2009 11:11:00 AM  

Keep on defunkifying. You'll get there.

Too bad I don't have my Vocabulary list on my blog any more. "Defunkify" would surely make the cut!

WendyCinNYC 2/19/2009 11:23:00 AM  

Aw, poor thing. I often have to step away from the computer if I'm in a funk. I call a friend.

Pink Ink 2/19/2009 11:37:00 AM  

One order of Defunkifying coming up!

:-)

When I am in a funk, I try to do something physical. I walk, I bike, I dance. Anything to get those endorphins going in the brain.

Heather Harper 2/19/2009 01:51:00 PM  

(((Spy)))

With our current almost jobless status, the movie Office Space has been a great relief.

And when my hubs is away, I have to remain busy. I try to focus my frustration and loneliness elsewhere. Anything to save my sanity. ;-)

Kath Calarco 2/19/2009 01:57:00 PM  

I fell into a funk today, too, so I chucked everything nagging my mind and watched a movie. I feel better now. So, maybe try that, and if it doesn't work, I recommend a bag of Dove dark chocolates. :)

Barrie 2/19/2009 02:53:00 PM  

Defunkify? Sounds like a great addition to the English language. :) Would a honey sandwich help. I'm trying to think of something Winnie-the-Poohish. :) Perhaps you could watch a funny, light movie this evening. Sending defunkifying dust your way!

L.C. Gant 2/19/2009 02:54:00 PM  

Aw, poor Spy :-( It's okay, everyone needs to be in a good funk every now and then. You have a lot to be...uh, funky about. Wait, that didn't sound right.

I enjoy watching a great comedy movie when I'm down in the dumps. Either that or a cup of chai tea. I'm a tea junkie. I get it from my mother.

Either way, don't be afraid to let out the feelings hun. It's good for you. You'll get through this. One step at a time. Hugs!

Barrie 2/19/2009 02:58:00 PM  

Hey, we're online at the same time. I'm stuck at a McDonald's waiting for an oil change on the car. $3.00 for 2 hours of internet. :) Hang in there! xo

Charles Gramlich 2/19/2009 03:03:00 PM  

There's always going to be a million little things to be done. I think you just have to set aside time to write and consider THAT one of the million little things. In other words, make it one thing that you MUST accomplish along with those other nagging little items.

Barrie 2/19/2009 03:07:00 PM  

Oh, is this what a twitter conversation feels like? I should join, but I'm scared of getting hooked and spending loads of time twittering... And to answer your question, it's McDonald's that charges for internet. :) Okay, signing off to write...

Avery DeBow 2/19/2009 04:21:00 PM  

I embrace the funk. It's funktastic, nay, funktabulous. It's funkacalfragilistic... Forget it. That's too many letters to go through for you to possibly crack a weak smile.

I'll go find a knock-knock joke instead.

Avery DeBow 2/19/2009 04:27:00 PM  

Okay. No knock-knock joke, but two Chuck Norris ones (which is even better in my book):

Chuck Norris counted to infinity--twice.

Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until they give him the information he wants.

Kate S 2/19/2009 06:48:00 PM  

Aw, Spy. {{hugs}} I've been wondering how you're doing.

I also recommend movie therapy (am planning on spending some quality time with Alan Rickman tonight myself), though I do believe Avery's Chuck Norris jokes were pretty good, too. lol

Georgie B 2/19/2009 08:12:00 PM  

"Defunkify" sounds like something that Parliament/Funkadelic would do.

To wipe out my funk, I sometimes go out on long walks around town, so I can clear my head and get back to square three. Or one.

Other times, I'll go down to the cellar and burn a couple of my records to CD's. It's great listening to an entire album at one sitting while recording.

Robin 2/19/2009 09:18:00 PM  

I don't blame you for being in a funk. Those things sound very funk inducing. What about blowing off a whole day, watching movies, and eating tofutti and Pringles and just wallowing? That's what I do, and then I just get sick of it, and feel better. It's the Miss Piggle Wiggle approach to happiness.

Robin Bielman,  2/19/2009 11:50:00 PM  

Spy, I'm spreading fairy dust as I type this! I'm sorry you're in a funk. When I'm feeling down a book or movie usually helps me out. Oh, and cookies. Cookies are always good. I will say, I can't believe it's been two months that your hubby's been away. That was fast. At least it feels fast on my end, so I'm sending you my "wow time if flying" feelings in hopes the next two months speed by. Take care! Hugs!

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 12:52:00 AM  

LOL, Janna! I can hear Piglet!

You're right. I need to accept the uncomfortable process of setting myself to rights!

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 12:53:00 AM  

Edie, thank you! I love your happy vibes. I'm about to snuggle up with the third Charlaine Harris Lily Bard mystery!

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 12:54:00 AM  

Really, WriteNow? I MISS that list! I remember that list!

Is it gone for good?

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 12:55:00 AM  

Wendy, if I'm REALLY in a funk, I don't call my friends. I don't want to spread my misery around!

Which is silly, of course!

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 12:56:00 AM  

Thank you, Jewel! Now that you bring it up, I REALLY need to get to the gym!

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 12:56:00 AM  

Oh, Heather. Gosh, I have NO right to be self-pitying!

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 12:57:00 AM  

Kath, I took your advice and went to see Coraline! Loved it! In 3-D!

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 12:58:00 AM  

Barrie, you know, I ADORE honey and peanut butter sandwiches! And yep, this is what twitter is like!

It can overwhelm your life. I only allow myself to pop on for ten minutes a day. :-) It's fun, though!

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 12:59:00 AM  

Thanks, L.C.! You know, visiting your blogs really helped. Just getting back in the groove. While blogging doesn't bring in money, it does bring balance... and that's necessary, too!

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 01:00:00 AM  

HAH! I laughed good at those this afternoon, Avery! I love a good Chuck Norris joke.

And, btw, that would be funkicalifragilistic with an I. :-) I spent many a year learning how to spell that! ;-)

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 01:01:00 AM  

Charles, you're right. And I'm trying to constantly forgive myself for not getting things done. I need to get the important things done. If the other stuff takes forever, then so be it!

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 01:01:00 AM  

Kate, I watched Coraline this evening! In 3-D! Definitely helpful!

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 01:02:00 AM  

Georgie, I never learned how to do that! I always meant to, but I got tired of waiting for myself to learn and eventually donated all my records away. I still have an old Van Trapp Family Singers album, though! The REAL ones, not Julia what's her name!

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 01:04:00 AM  

Oh, Robin, that sounds LUXURIOUS! I don't know if I could dare! I tend to feel really guilty. :-)

spyscribbler 2/20/2009 01:05:00 AM  

Thanks, Robin! Cookies sound AWESOME! I am eating a lazy cookie: saltines with icing made of butter, salt, and powdered sugar. LOL! That's kind of pitiful.

Angie 2/20/2009 11:03:00 AM  

My husband is gone too (although only for a week) and I've been sort of moping around. I'd imagined all the things I'd do during my "free week" but so far, zip. :/

And when he comes home I'm going to smack him because he took the mailbox key with him. [headdesk]

Angie

Melanie Avila 2/20/2009 12:53:00 PM  

*waves wand at Spy*

Defunkify!

I hope you're doing a bit better today. I've been rather blah myself this week.

Barbara Martin 2/21/2009 12:37:00 AM  

You to concentrate on one thing at a time in the order they need to be done first. Once you have completed one task move onto the next.

Please don't start blaming your husband for working at a distance away from you. That will bring other problems in your spiritual journey that you will have to overcome later.

spyscribbler 2/21/2009 01:40:00 AM  

Angie, the mailbox key! Argh!

In general, I'm usually happy to have the house to myself for the first day. On the second day, I really miss him. :-)

spyscribbler 2/21/2009 01:40:00 AM  

Have you, Melanie? I have to catch you on Facebook! We haven't chatted in awhile!

spyscribbler 2/21/2009 01:42:00 AM  

LOL, Barbara! Very logical! I'm ADD, so I zip, zap, then poop out. I like to move piles around when I clean, too.

No worries about blaming the hubby. It was just a transitory, PMS feeling that I marked as irrational, since it was, LOL!