Saturday, February 21, 2009

Swallowing the Sun vs. Being a Mule

image Wow. Thanks to DebraL for pointing me to this video. Whether you love Elizabeth Gilbert or think her a bit selfish, this speech is a great one to get you thinking about what it means to be a writer, what the experience is like for you, and how you can keep going and when the going gets hard.

It’s twenty minutes long, but it’s worth every second.



I believe religions have been created for the convenience, whether political or self-comforting, of a section of humanity. That doesn’t belittle the religions, in my mind. It just is, and I think we humans need those beliefs to get through the rough bits and help us excel through the regular bits

image I think I”m going to sign up for this writer’s religion, LOL. My job is to show up. Whether the muse pops out to lend me a bit of pixie dust or not, I just gotta keep typing away. Whether or not my words will meet success or not, I gotta just keep typing.

Still. When I apply that formula to whether or not my words will keep a roof over my head… well, that’s a bit harder.

But c’est la vie.

Ole’ to you for just showing up!

13 bonus scribbles:

Julia Smith 2/21/2009 10:21:00 PM  

You're right - writing requires either highly-developed self-discipline or a liberal dose of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Maybe both!

Edie 2/21/2009 11:25:00 PM  

I watched the video this morning and posted the link on a couple chapters. Elizabeth Gilbert is inspiring, whether she's talking about writing, praying, eating or loving.

Amy Nathan 2/22/2009 10:50:00 AM  

Great minds think alike - I posted this on my blog today as well. OK, now I'll go back and read your post. LOL. I'm asking for thoughts and opinions...and plan to reveal my own tomorrow!

Amy Nathan 2/22/2009 10:53:00 AM  

My philosophy of life is 'take what you need and leave the rest'. It works as a writer, as a mother (moms get advice from all sides) and just as a human being. I feel like that about this video too -- maybe I'm a simple gal (those who know me well would disagree, I'm sure) but I don't need to like all of something to like a bit of it. I can have a good moment in a bad day and a bad moment in a good day. It's not black and white. To me, life is shade of gray and I kind of feel that way about Elizabeth Gilbert - her book, her speech and her thoughts. Gee, looks like I started my blog post for tomorrow! ;-)

LaDonna 2/22/2009 12:03:00 PM  

Spy, I heard about this one from Edie, and I absolutely loved it! I've enjoyed a similiar philosophy, but wasn't able to put it into words. This gal is highly inspirational and I'm so glad she's spreading the word.

Loved your post!

Kath Calarco 2/22/2009 02:09:00 PM  

I'm with Amy's thoughts. Bits of Gilbert's talk were very inspiring, while there were some points I didn't agree with.

I didn't read her book; I guess the subject matter ran parallel with my life experience minus the trip around the world. ;)

I can understand her anxiety of having to rise to the occasion with her next release. Expectations by readers can be the death of a writer.

Maybe we're better off not hitting it big, lol.

Melanie Avila 2/22/2009 02:51:00 PM  

I watched this a couple weeks ago (can't remember where I saw the link) and really enjoyed listening to her. Eat, Pray, Love struck a chord with me at a time when I really needed that perspective, and it's interesting to hear her thoughts on success.

Kate S 2/22/2009 03:18:00 PM  

Wow. Thank you for posting!

Aimless Writer 2/22/2009 05:23:00 PM  

OMG Spy!
Definately worth the watch. Thank you so much for sharing.
And now when my family finds me talking to the empty corners of the room I'm going to refer them to you.
Ole'

Robin 2/22/2009 11:23:00 PM  

She's certainly a wonderful speaker! I can appreciate the talent, and the main message, yet it comes across as a bit canned and insincere to me. I can be a real poop about inspiring things. I once went with a friend to see a blind inspirational speaker, and she wept at his stories, while I had to leave the room to keep from laughing. I felt like the devil's handmaiden.

Melanie Avila 2/23/2009 09:38:00 AM  

Robin, you are the devil's handmaiden. :P

Liz Kreger 2/23/2009 01:11:00 PM  

Although I really didn't have time to listen to the entire 20 minutes, I was so caught up in it that I found the time. Very inspiring.

Robin 2/23/2009 03:44:00 PM  

Melanie, he's very demanding. Steaming towels at dinner, hot cinnamon tea all day, and then cook him spicy Italian sausage (his favorite). Soooo annoying.