Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Done for the Day

image My latest goal has been to stop working by 9:30 no matter what. Today I stopped at 9 am watching T.V. and read before bed.

How luxurious!

Okay, this is probably the most boring post ever, but between the piano studio and writing and a couple other things, my life has been non-stop work, lately. Other than that, I haven’t even been going to movies.

I’m beat.

The latest news is I am not to get pregnant until I fix a few things with my health. So that’s put off a little bit, but I still have hope.

image

Right now, all I want to do is cuddle with Glenn, then go to some movies with him, then sit on a lake and read in my kayak while he fishes in his rowboat.

I’m curious: how do you unwind? When are you done for the day? How do you do the whole “after-work” routine? What do you balance work with?

27 bonus scribbles:

Robin 3/17/2009 09:45:00 PM  

The kayak/rowboat thing sounds awesomely cool! I like to bikeride and listen to books on tape. And eat. And eat. And eat more. Unfortunately.

Avery DeBow 3/17/2009 10:31:00 PM  

I just discovered kayaks last fall. Great things! So much fun with so little effort (unlike canoes).

I don't really unwind (probably why I have dreams about psychopaths with donut fetishes), I just stop moving and fall asleep.

Edie 3/18/2009 12:24:00 AM  

I read, watch TV, walk, go to the movies. I used to meditate every day, and last week I started again. This week I've been too busy, but will make time to meditate tomorrow.

I love the picture!

G 3/18/2009 06:37:00 AM  

Believe it or not, I unwind by blogging (writing, reading and commenting), and by writing.

At the moment, I'm between rewrites, just having finished a 62 page story, so I spend part of my night mentally working on my next story.

The rest used to be spent in chat rooms, but since I decided to severely curtail my activities there, I'm suffering severe online withdrawal.

ivan@creativewriting.ca 3/18/2009 06:44:00 AM  

Good morning.

Writing, as you know, is a tension-producing business.
Most writers today don't drink enough, and some get into their favourite drugs or into extreme fitness to relax ,addling their poor brains or breaking their fool necks.
I exercise ane exercise-- and this only jumps me up even more.

Says Ovid somewhere (I think): Water drinkers never produced anything worthwhile.
I gotta keep drinking!

Janna Qualman 3/18/2009 07:55:00 AM  

I'm never done at the same time, but I like to sit back with a book. Maybe I'll invest in a kayak! :)

Charles Gramlich 3/18/2009 10:18:00 AM  

I always have to have time to unwind too. At least an hour after I finish working. I read mostly, or maybe just surf the net, but I have to have that break or I go to bed all wired up.

Love the kitty pic.

Pink Ink 3/18/2009 10:33:00 AM  

Still trying to figure out the balance thing. I usually unwind in snatched moments during the day, but work nonstop until my head hits the pillow.

I'm a workaholic and I know I need to work on this.

Because at the end of the day, at the end of our life, what really matters is family friends and health, ya know?

Aerin 3/18/2009 10:48:00 AM  

LOL @ Avery

I have preschoolers. When they go to sleep, there are things to be done like dishes and laundry. There is no "unwind" only "kids."

Melanie Avila 3/18/2009 09:50:00 PM  

Reading in a kayak, huh? That sounds like something I might like. :)

I often unwind by either playing a couple rounds of Tetris or watching a movie.

G 3/19/2009 06:14:00 AM  

I wanted to add one other thing.

By no means was this a boring post.

Trust me, I can write boring (oh boy can I write boring), and this wasn't boring.

Erica Orloff 3/19/2009 08:11:00 AM  

I'm having a TOUGH time with this right now. Generally I will watch some TV for a half-hour. Do a NY Times crossword puzzle for 15 minutes (if it's a DAILY not the Sunday, I can finish 1 in 15 minutes . . . Sunday's . . . forget it. LOL!). Then I read. But I have SUCH bad insomnia right now that I realize I am not getting myself into that restful state. I like Robin's idea. Maybe a book or lecture on my iPod would be a cool idea to unwind.

E

writtenwyrdd 3/19/2009 11:35:00 AM  

My after work routing usually involves 1) getting out of my uniform, 2) eating whatever comes to hand (a habit I am challenged to change before surgery), 3) plot in a chair with a book to watch tv, 4) goof off on the internet a while, 5) maybe write some.

This is a bit of an inverted pyramid from what my evenings should be. And the doc says add daily exercise, too.

I hope you can fix your challenges so you can have that child soon!

writtenwyrdd 3/19/2009 11:35:00 AM  

I can't believe all the typos in my comment. I'm getting worse all the time!

spyscribbler 3/19/2009 04:53:00 PM  

Robin, it is totally awesome! I used to live riding in the car and listening to audiobooks while Glenn drove, but then gas prices went up. :-)

spyscribbler 3/19/2009 04:53:00 PM  

Oh, Avery, kayaks are awesome! I love zipping across the lake!

I had a dream about a psychopath last night, but no donuts. I need some of what you've got!

spyscribbler 3/19/2009 04:54:00 PM  

Movies! Oh, Edie, I am seriously movie-deprived! I lit my candle again the last couple mornings. I need to do meditation, too.

spyscribbler 3/19/2009 04:55:00 PM  

G, I used to unwind with blogging. But still, it's at my computer, so it never feels quite like an unwind.

Chat rooms! Those bring back the memories! I met my hubby in one. :-)

spyscribbler 3/19/2009 04:57:00 PM  

You know, Ivan, a drink may not be such a bad idea, LOL! I sure need some more exercise, though.

spyscribbler 3/19/2009 04:57:00 PM  

Janna, me too! On the lake, it's SO peaceful. :-)

spyscribbler 3/19/2009 04:58:00 PM  

Charles, I'm a reader, too. Once in awhile I'll watch TV, but reading is what does it. Especially in the bathtub!

spyscribbler 3/19/2009 04:59:00 PM  

Isn't that the truth, Jewel? Mine are so far away, that I don't get to balance that bit of life, though. But I've been trying to unwind in snatches. I think that's a wonderful method!

spyscribbler 3/19/2009 04:59:00 PM  

Awww, Aerin! I hope you get some sleep at night, at least!

spyscribbler 3/19/2009 05:01:00 PM  

Erica, I hear you. I just wish there was a kill switch on my brain or something. If it would just SHUT UP for a second, if I'd just stop stressing for a second, I could have a good night's sleep!

spyscribbler 3/19/2009 05:02:00 PM  

I don't know, Writtenwyrdd. Ya' just worked all day. Your brain may need a refresher before you start plotting and writing. Exercise after work could kill the snacking bit and refresher in one swoop!

(Just sayin', but understand that I say this knowing I should be doing it, too. And I am not doing it. So take my words with a good eye-roll. :-)

Bill Henderson 3/29/2009 01:44:00 PM  

1) Veg on a movie I've DVR'd. It can be great (last night, There Will Be Blood) or really dumb (The Love Guru).

2) Sit on my side porch in the dark with guitar or mandolin (unplugged), get some Americana internet radio in the headphones & play along.

3) Curl up somwewhere with a book (right now, Obama's Dreams from My Father) or the iPhone (Wells' The Time Machine). If eyes hurt, switch to audiobook (Outliers)

4) Same as (1) above, but with some mix of Maddow, Olberman, Stewart, Matthews, Colbert. (Bet you can't guess how I vote.)

5) If I'm really REALLY tired...plug the good Sony buds into my ears and listen to Radiohead (any), a random GD concert, or Pink Floyd Dark Side of Moon. (Bet you can't guess my gggeneration.)