Sunday, March 15, 2009

Frayed at the Edges; Little Things

image What a week. My laptop needed a reformat. Then the fan went kerplewy and the hard drive test said “replace.” Replaced the hard drive, but there’s no way around sending it back for three weeks for the fan. That’s way above my skill grade.

No big deal, really.

(Okay, my ancient backup laptop failed after I tried to get it up and running, so I’m stuck on a desktop. This means I am stuck in my house for at least 22 hours a day for the next three weeks!!!)

Just one of those weeks you have where every little thing feels like the last straw. Glenn’s been out of touch all week, and my baby niece got sick so I didn’t get to visit with her and my best friend this weekend.

Out of sheer desperation, I started counting off all the things I’m grateful for. You ever do that?

And I remembered a copyeditor friend who agreed to go through a novella that needs a polish before a different release and I just burst into tears as I was driving.

There is SO much to do, I am seriously MONTHS behind. No kidding. I am MONTHS behind in everything except my studio and my laundry. And I just wept, I was so grateful for the help.

When people give me a helping hand, it’s always a bit of a shock to me. A GOOD shock, but still a surprise. It’s amazing to me, and you know?

Lately? Friends manage to be nice to me at just the perfect times.

It’s definitely a lesson in how the little, small things we do (well, the copyediting thing is big, but I’m talking in general) can really make someone’s week. A friend sent me tea, and I smile every day when I drink it. That’s made my month.

image Little things are the most special things. And sometimes they’re all we have to hold onto, when our life starts to fray at the edges.

Just feelin’ lonely and grateful tonight.

It’s Sunday! How are things? How’s the writing going? Life?

16 bonus scribbles:

Pink Ink 3/15/2009 01:52:00 AM  

*Months behind* story of my life :-)

Sounds like you have some wonderful people in your life. When all is said and done, friends make all the difference in the world.

Amy Nathan 3/15/2009 10:10:00 AM  

Sometimes I feel like I'm *lives behind* so I hear you. The key is allowing these people to help you - I'm not good at that at all.

Edie 3/15/2009 10:33:00 AM  

Hugs, Spy, on everything that's happened to you. Forget your schedule and start over, so you are no longer months behind. It's just now. If you'd done them months ago, they might have turned out crap. It will turn out better whenever you do it, because that will be the right time for you.

Anyway, that's what I'm telling myself. And, yes, I count blessings sometimes too. Usually when I can't sleep. My writing friends are always on that list.

Mary Moore 3/15/2009 11:00:00 AM  

The little things make ALL the difference...

Love your blog, by the way.

Heather Harper 3/15/2009 12:37:00 PM  

You always drop a line when I need one most, Spy. Even when I'm unable to correspond, I think of you every day and send you happy thoughts.

BTW, candle wax works well to stop further unravelling. ;-)

Robin 3/15/2009 01:36:00 PM  

Total happy thoughts coming your way. Your comment about the tea made my silly day!

writtenwyrdd 3/15/2009 04:31:00 PM  

When things seem bad, you feel down, or you feel overwhelmed, stepping back and counting the good things that have happened and the good choices you have made are both excellent ways to help prop up you mood.

Hang in there.

spyscribbler 3/15/2009 11:02:00 PM  

I hear you, Jewel! I would just LOVE to be caught up!

It's true. Speaking of friends, are you going to be a pink rocker? :-)

spyscribbler 3/15/2009 11:02:00 PM  

I'm not good at it, either, Amy! I was just thinking how selfish I am! LOL. Oh well. I'm still hoping for that one day of peace!

spyscribbler 3/15/2009 11:03:00 PM  

Edie, I continually tell myself that I have to get caught up, but I'm just not going to be able to. You're so right. I just need to deal with what I can do today, and forgive myself for the rest.

spyscribbler 3/15/2009 11:03:00 PM  

Thank you, Mary! I adore the little things. :-)

spyscribbler 3/15/2009 11:05:00 PM  

Heather, I think of you every day, too! Sure is a tough year all around, but I feel like things are turning up. (Could be the pound of chocolate I just ate, though.)

spyscribbler 3/15/2009 11:05:00 PM  

Awww, thanks, Robin! The tea makes my day, every day! :-)

spyscribbler 3/15/2009 11:06:00 PM  

Writtenwyrdd, so true. I keep counting. :-) Glenn finally got in touch last night, so I feel loads happier. Only about 22 more days!

Melanie Avila 3/16/2009 12:32:00 PM  

I also try to remind myself of the positives when I get really really down. Lately they've been hard to come by so I focus on good things that have happened for my friends and family.

{{hugs}}

Rhonda Stapleton 3/16/2009 01:48:00 PM  

((hugs)) oh man, I've had days/weeks like that. Hang in there.