Saturday, March 28, 2009

Good Stress; Big Changes, Anyone?

I’m having an odd week. After the universe and I made an agreement, the universe decided that in order to keep peace in our territory, it needed to clear out some clutter. It was quite stressful, but… I am so relieved and happy.

And I might have asked this question before, because it’s been on my mind.

Have you ever made a huge change in your life? Like, really big? Like something that drastically altered the course of the rest of your life?

Did it take courage? Excitement? The universe making things so bad you hardly had a choice in the matter?

What propelled you to take that step? Where did you find the strength? The courage?

25 bonus scribbles:

Edie 3/28/2009 08:12:00 PM  

Wow! Whatever you're going through, I'm happy that you feel so good about it.

I've had a few huge changes in my life. One took courage, but the course I was on was killing my soul by inches and I had to change.

Susan Helene Gottfried 3/28/2009 08:29:00 PM  

OMG, yes. Repeatedly.

How to get through it? Dig deep, my friend. The strength is there.

Holler if you need me. Friends are there, too.

Robin 3/28/2009 09:36:00 PM  

I'm so glad you're relieved and happy! You deserve a big wad of peace.

My biggest decision was probably leaving everyone I knew in Boston, and going down to North Carolina to live with Adam. I was so in love! Ye gads! If I had a daughter who uprooted herself like that for a guy, I'd kill her!

Charles Gramlich 3/28/2009 11:26:00 PM  

Well, forunately or unfortunately, most of the really big changes in my life have been sort of thrust upon me. I'm not a terribly courageous kind of guy when it comes to making changes.

Bevie 3/29/2009 06:17:00 AM  

I'm with Edie. Glad you're feeling good about what's going on.

I am in the process of making a big change. We've been foreclosed on, and now we have to find a new place to live. There is a better than likely chance we will leave the state and start over from near scratch.

Necessity forces it, so necessity brings its own strength and courage. The excitement is that the past will be left behind. The fear is that the future is the past.

G 3/29/2009 07:46:00 AM  

Probably the one big change I made in my life was to take a lateral transfer from my previous agency, to my current one.

I truly believe that if I had stayed any longer at my former stop, I really think I would have wound up checking into a nice quiet place where my mental health could be properly attended to.

Amy Sue Nathan 3/29/2009 08:17:00 AM  

I usually feel like I'm Queen of Change. While the impetus for change has always been thrust upon me (like someone else mentioned) I think we all have a choice whether or not to bend when the wind blows, or not. I've had huge changes in my life, and on the surface while not all have been good ones, they've all led to good things within me.

writtenwyrdd 3/29/2009 09:10:00 AM  

I quit my job, sold my stuff and moved from San Francisco to Massachusetts (on my way to Maine). I hadn't gotten the job I wanted yet, and I had the best time just couch surfing with friends and working temp jobs for a few months until it all worked out.

It was friends that made it possible, though.

But there's something really freeing about moving to an entirely new area and taking an entirely new direction with your life.

Eric Mayer 3/29/2009 01:05:00 PM  

I have to admit the biggest changes I've made were mostly forced on me by the universe. For example, being laid off forced me to make a living freelance which has been so much better than slaving at a corporation!

Having said that, I have seen plenty of people who refuse to change, even when the universe insists. And they make their lives miserable but still won't change even though change would be necessary for things to get better.

Travis Erwin 3/29/2009 04:20:00 PM  

Most of the big changes to my life have come expectantly, but I believe things have a way of working out s they should.

spyscribbler 3/29/2009 04:43:00 PM  

Edie, it's been a ride. I can deal with the fear and get the courage... it's the guilt that snags me into not staying. *sigh*

spyscribbler 3/29/2009 04:43:00 PM  

Aww, thanks Susan! And so true! You helped last week!

spyscribbler 3/29/2009 04:44:00 PM  

Aww, Robin, that's so sweet! LOL, you know, when a man does that, it's romantic, but when a woman does that, it's foolish. Why is that?

Looking back, I wish I'd been as foolish as you were! :-)

spyscribbler 3/29/2009 04:45:00 PM  

Charles, me neither. Man, me neither. As soon as I make a decision, I forget I have to battle Doubt.

spyscribbler 3/29/2009 04:46:00 PM  

Bevie, you know... I wish we could sort of live half our life, and then get one do-over. It's not that I regret anything or would want to change it, but I could do it all so much better, now.

spyscribbler 3/29/2009 04:47:00 PM  

Bevie, that didn't quite sound like a response to your comment, LOL! I was just thinking how nice a brand new beginning would feel. :-)

But gosh, you're going through hell to get one, aren't you? *hugs*

spyscribbler 3/29/2009 04:49:00 PM  

G, to be honest with you, some days a stay at a mental hospital sounds relaxing. No, I don't mean that. But it sure would be nice to just check out for a little while.

spyscribbler 3/29/2009 04:50:00 PM  

Amy, that's awesome! I used to really be into stirring things up, often. I change a lot, but... not enough. I'm more cautious and security-conscious now. Too much so.

spyscribbler 3/29/2009 04:58:00 PM  

Wow, writtenwyrdd! That just rocks. That is the coolest! I don't have friends like that living somewhere cool, but man. That would be so much fun!

You were brave!

spyscribbler 3/29/2009 04:59:00 PM  

Eric, change is SO hard! And life does make you miserable if you don't change, doesn't it? I don't want to get stuck in that spot you describe, for sure.

Although, I have spent quite a few time in that place between a rock and a hard place!

spyscribbler 3/29/2009 05:04:00 PM  

Travis, that's a great philosophy! I'm pretty sure I agree with it, too. It sure is comforting!

Bevie 3/29/2009 07:26:00 PM  

With you, Spy. Mulligans and Do-Overs. If only God had asked us when he designed things. [haha]

StarvingWriteNow 3/30/2009 09:19:00 AM  

I don't know if I'd regard my huge change (which you know about already) as something I faced with courage, etc... but I did it because I had to. I turned off the doubting voices and all that extra crap and just plowed ahead. Decisions had to be made, stuff had to get done and I was the one to do it.

I wish I could turn off the doubting crap when it comes to writing, and other creative projects that aren't work or school related, you know?

Melanie Avila 3/30/2009 10:44:00 AM  

Yeah, I guess you could say I've made a life-changing decision. I was so busy preparing to move to Mexico that I honestly didn't have time to THINK about moving to Mexico. I had my lists of what needed to get done and just focused on that. It wasn't until we were driving across two countries that I started to freak out. A lot.

But, I made the decision for what I believed (and still do) were the right reasons, so I just focused on that as my driving force. That doesn't mean I haven't questioned my sanity along the way, but I've made sticking by my husband my goal right now, and so far it's working.

My grandmother pointed out to me yesterday that if I hadn't moved, I never would have started writing, started my blog, and met all my online friends. So how can I regret that?

Avery DeBow 3/30/2009 11:30:00 AM  

The Architect and I went through some fairly major upheavals in the earlier part of this decade. But, we didn't really decide, it was more the Universe kicking us in the head over and over until we got tired of the constant headaches and decided to act.