Sunday, March 15, 2009

Puppy Smiles

image A lot of you have seen Colby Marshall around. She does the funniest videos, she acts, and she likes to have fun. But unless you visit her blog regularly, you might not know that the coolest thing she does is train puppies to be service dogs for Canine Companions for Independence.

I think that’s really special. Her stories always make me smile.

Every weekend, she posts a “Pupdate.” (Told you she was funny!) If you click on this link, scroll to the bottom, and read the posts going up, you can get the whole story of her latest adorable trainee, Edda (pictured above).

Here’s a video of her last pup, who graduated last year:



Okay. So what cool thing do most people not know about you? Okay, okay, if you're shy, what boring thing do most people not know about you?

32 bonus scribbles:

writtenwyrdd 3/16/2009 04:15:00 AM  

Most people are surprised when I happen to mention I have a tatoo. This is boring where I come from, but unexpected to many who were born and raised in back-of-beyond Maine.

McKoala 3/16/2009 06:31:00 AM  

The coolest thing about me is that I WANTED to care for helping-dog-puppies, but apparently I have the wrong kind of car and can't change it right now. Boo, hiss.

So we ended up buying a dog instead, which I think also now disqualifies me!

G 3/16/2009 06:34:00 AM  

I have been blessed/cursed with a pretty good photographic memory/recall.

But I would say that the one thing that surprises people nowadays is my writing.

Apparently, people who know me, have a very hard time dealing with the fact that 95% of my writing is deeply flavored with sex. They just simply can't reconile that fact with the person that they come to know and respect.

StarvingWriteNow 3/16/2009 09:32:00 AM  

Dearest, you forgot to mention a cool unknown thing about YOURSELF!

Anyhow, one cool unknown about me... umm... well... I'm not cool.

Seriously, though, I was a hunting dog trainer in the past, and my standard "cool" thing is that I once rode a camel at the Giza pyramids in Egypt.

Edie 3/16/2009 11:56:00 AM  

I can't think of anything cool about me. But I'm in a good mood today, and I'm not going to let it get me down that I'm not cool.

Melanie Avila 3/16/2009 12:28:00 PM  

I got very confused when I typed your blog and saw Colby! lol.

I'm an open book (I think) but I think a lot of people would be surprised to know how insecure I can be. And shy.

Charles Gramlich 3/16/2009 01:53:00 PM  

Pupdate. LOL. Very cool. When people see me, then find out I'm a teacher, they are usually quite surprised about the long hair.

Robin 3/16/2009 04:04:00 PM  

I love dogs, and Colby's blog is super cool!

My coolest thing is probably that I do stand up comedy for fun. Cool in a weird, non sequitor-ish way.

lainey bancroft 3/16/2009 04:43:00 PM  

I want a puppy!

*shake head! I DO NOT want a puppy!

I'd love to be able to train service dogs but I think I'd find it difficult to let them go, regardless of the important purpose they'd serve. I'd want to keep all my babies. :(

Nope. Can't think of anything cool or surprising about me.

Erica Orloff 3/16/2009 05:19:00 PM  

People are generally shocked to find out I can tap dance and took lessons for most of my life.
E

spyscribbler 3/16/2009 05:57:00 PM  

Writtenwyrdd, really? I have a friend in Maine that I'm determined to go visit someday!

But no tattoos?

sue18 3/16/2009 06:55:00 PM  

I have birth certificates from two different (albeit adjacent) towns. Same name and dob etc. on each.

spyscribbler 3/16/2009 07:58:00 PM  

McKoala, I know the feeling! Would you know, there's a shortage of volunteer opportunities in my area? I wanted to do some more volunteering, and the only job I could find was volunteering of a service that helps find community service opportunities for those who've been sentenced to it by a judge? Because volunteer opportunities are so hard to find, LOL!

spyscribbler 3/16/2009 08:00:00 PM  

Wow, G, I really want that kind of memory! How'd you get it? I really want that, LOL.

I solve that problem by not telling people what I write, but I assume they all guess it. :-)

spyscribbler 3/16/2009 08:02:00 PM  

Those are two very cool things, WriteNow! And you are too cool. You're a librarian for one, which I think is at the top of the charts cool. You just bought a house, which is also very cool. And I bet there's TONS more!

spyscribbler 3/16/2009 08:08:00 PM  

Edie, yay for the good mood! And you are WAY cool. For one, you're like famous on the web and are part of Magical Musings. You are a finalist in American Title, and I bet there's tons of other cool things about you that I'm forgetting or just don't know.

spyscribbler 3/16/2009 08:10:00 PM  

LOL, Melanie. I'm pretty open book, too. My best friend, though, was laughing at how incoherent I am in conversation, and yet in my writing, I like... speak in whole sentences and coherent paragraphs. All organized, like. :-)

spyscribbler 3/16/2009 08:11:00 PM  

Really, Charles? I had this impression that you taught college kids, which wouldn't make the hair surprising to me, at least.

spyscribbler 3/16/2009 08:13:00 PM  

Robin, that is one of the coolest things I found about you! I still think that's amazingly brave and cool!

spyscribbler 3/16/2009 09:35:00 PM  

Me too, Lainey! It breaks my heart just to think about it! Colby said they get the option of keeping it if the dog does not grow up to become a service dog, but still! I'd be bawling my eyes out!

You won a cruise. You're the only person I know who's ever won a cruise!

spyscribbler 3/16/2009 09:37:00 PM  

Erica, I am shocked, too! :-) But that's definitely high on the cool meter!

spyscribbler 3/16/2009 09:37:00 PM  

Sue, seriously? That is funky! Cool, but funky!

Ello 3/17/2009 10:26:00 AM  

awww that is cute. most people don't know that I am bitch. ACtually that is a lie. Most people know this about me. And that's ok.

G 3/17/2009 06:00:00 PM  

Trust me, it's something you don't want to get.

It's good for remembering different points and plotting when I write, but bad if you want people not to depend on you 24/7 to do their job for them.

LaDonna 3/17/2009 07:53:00 PM  

Hey Spy, cute puppy pic! Sheesh, I can't think of anything cool. Boring I can do...I love the slower pace I've been living, and don't need to be widely entertained these days. Mid-life rocks, and that might surprise some.

Jennifer Hudson Taylor 3/17/2009 09:15:00 PM  

My daughter was born with a seizure disorder and before they stopped, we considered getting a dog that could detect seizures.

spyscribbler 3/17/2009 09:26:00 PM  

Ello, I don't believe it! But if it were to be true, I'd still like you anyway. :-)

spyscribbler 3/17/2009 09:26:00 PM  

LOL, G, I still think I wouldn't mind trying it on for size. :-)

spyscribbler 3/17/2009 09:27:00 PM  

LaDonna, a slower pace sounds like HEAVEN to me. It sounds wonderful! That's definitely a cool thing. :-)

spyscribbler 3/17/2009 09:28:00 PM  

See my jaw drop open, Jennifer! You're kidding!!! Ohmigosh, dogs can do that?

That is the most amazing thing I have heard in a very long time. Wow.

Lauren 3/18/2009 01:17:00 PM  

I have always wanted to care for the helping dog puppies. When I was a kid a lady in my church did that. I would like to, one day...

Thanks for sharing that blog. It is so neat.

I don't have anything too interesting...i'm too busy to be interesting. :-P

colbymarshall 7/02/2010 11:59:00 PM  

I have no idea how on earth I missed this post, but I'm just now seeing it-- thanks so much for sharing my stuff even though I'm SO late to seeing it! The pup in the picture, Edda, has turned in to CCI, and I'm scheduled to get her first report from advanced training on this coming Wednesday.

And yes, I bawled my eyes out when I turned her in, but seeing the people they graduate with always helps keep the bigger picture in mind. I leave a piece of my heart in Florida every time I turn one in! :-)