Sunday, March 15, 2009

Research Requests

image I read this quote that Erica posted, and I decided to let the universe know that, as writers, we all need to research some gloriousness.

I feel the need to mention that I feel quite confident in my ability to empathize with angst and worry and financial woes and insecurity.

No more need for that sort of research. Thank you. It was very helpful. I will draw on it a lot.

Most of my writing friends and I seem to need to know what it’s like to live like in peace, security, with babies and family and friends surrounding us, our loved ones close. You know, I’m really clueless as to what it feels like to “have all my ducks in a row,” to see life in order. No pressing problems.

I also feel that I need to understand happy endings better. I’m not convinced I really “get” them.

Also, most books need a few moments comedic relief or contrasting relief to offset the incessant conflict in a book. A bit of happiness.

I’m not quite convinced I really “get” the emotions of such situations. I’ve forgotten what that’s like.

imageOther things I would like to research: perfect health, having a baby. Since we’re on the subject of babies, I just wanted to mention that it’s been twelve years since I’ve had health insurance. I forget what that’s like. Research is in order.

Also, I’d like to research what it’s like to be rich. I’d like to know how it feels to be a philanthropist. I wouldn’t mind doing so travel for such activities, either.

I’ve also forgotten what “flow” is like. I could use a few books that are “gifts” and “flow” easily. I’ve forgotten what it’s like to feel the flow. Let’s see, I’ve also forgotten what it’s like to be thin and in shape, to feel strong with tons of endurance.

I really need to know what it feels like to be an energetic person, one of those real Energizer bunnies.

Dear Universe, I sincerely thank you for all the research you’ve given me in the past. It’s been incredibly useful.

What would you like to research?

11 bonus scribbles:

Edie 3/15/2009 01:24:00 PM  

Spy, I hope you get to research all that -- first hand -- soon. I'd like to research success at writing and financial security. That would be nice.

Robin 3/15/2009 01:39:00 PM  

I'd like to research not feeling pulled in 80 different directions constantly. A friend just commented that I'm always in bed, and I realize I have been escaping into bed a lot lately. I'm going to research finding peace that doesn't involve a horizontal position and a pillow.

writtenwyrdd 3/15/2009 04:33:00 PM  

I love this post. So true, that all life gives us can be used. And it's a great thing, to look at your past and your troubles as research.

What I want to research is wealth. I would really love to see what it's like to rent a yacht like Jewell did for about a quarter million a week. I'd really like the option, just to know how it feels to live in bizarro land where money means nothing except you want something you get it.

But I'll settle for staying employed. I'm really happy about my job security, having researched layoffs a good six times in the 90s!

spyscribbler 3/15/2009 11:07:00 PM  

Oh, Edie, financial security is way near the top of my list! And I already think you're successful at writing, but if you're thinking a contract, I've got everything crossed in hopes for you!

spyscribbler 3/15/2009 11:09:00 PM  

Robin, wouldn't that be wonderful?! You in bed? I can't picture it, LOL. You seem so energetic! You okay? I rather like my bed, too, though. Most of my house is my piano studio, so my bed is pretty much the only place to relax besides my desk chair.

spyscribbler 3/15/2009 11:10:00 PM  

Oh, Written, I think that's what's called too much research. :-) Job security is a thing to be grateful for, for sure.

The yacht would be cool. I'd really love to research wealth. How fun would that be?

colbymarshall 3/15/2009 11:33:00 PM  

I'd like to research what it's like to be a man. I know that's a weird thing to say, but I think if I could just be a man for ONE day, it would give me some great insight into why my hubby does what he does, acts how he acts, and I'd understand him better.

Charles Gramlich 3/15/2009 11:41:00 PM  

Yes, I want to research that rich thing myself.

Alex Moore 3/15/2009 11:57:00 PM  

oh what a fun post! thought-provoking too. i think i'd like to research extremes: trekking across the desert, no end in sight, with just the barest of necessities; snow-shoeing across the tundra, again with barely enough to survive. i would like to push myself until i could go no further...then pick myself up and keep on keeping on. if i contemplated that in rl, my loved ones would kill me :)

Melanie Avila 3/16/2009 12:30:00 PM  

I don't have one thing in particular that I'd like to research, but I am repeatedly amazed at how quickly we can get information now. Yesterday I was writing a scene with a sick three year old and I needed to know how much they weigh. Two minutes later the scene was finished.

I hope things turn around for you soon. {{hugs}}

Lauren 3/17/2009 09:32:00 AM  

I love this post! So true that we writers need to spend some more time researching the lighter side of life.

I need to research many things. This "ducks in a row" concept especially. The past year and all of this next year is all about being in limbo and getting things set up. I am excited for a point in time where things are at least a little bit set up.

I think that I would like to research what it is like to be in good shape. Of course that one is just a function of me getting off my butt and running with the dog, who could use the run too.

I'd also like to research what it is like to have enough time for a social life verses working/studying all the time.