Thursday, March 26, 2009

Some Cool Places

Still with nothing to say, but I’ve got two cool links for you. YouTube has just launched YouTubeEDU, which is like YouTube but with lectures from university professors.

It’s a lot like Academic Earth, which is a teensy bit better organized. You can sort by subject at Academic Earth: here are the English Lit lectures.

Of course, at YouTubeEDU, you can search, so a search on literature works almost as good. Here are the results on writing.

At this rate, kids in many subjects will be paying $160,000 in college just to get a piece of paper that proves you know what you could have learned online for free. Pretty sad, in my opinion.

Who knows what the future will bring? Any theories? Hopes? Fears?

Find any cool websites, lately?

21 bonus scribbles:

Eric Mayer 3/26/2009 11:28:00 PM  

Hey, I need to cut down on the websites I visit.

College is really a ripoff financially speaking. But what a great opportunity to interact with and learn from people who value knowledge and how rare are they in many walks of life? I regret not picking my profs' brains more. I encourage my nephew to talk to his profs as much as possible.

Angie 3/27/2009 10:04:00 AM  

Ooo, excellent! Thanks for the links! :D

I don't know whether this is something you'd be interested in, but I recently rediscovered a great piece I read on GEnie way back when -- The Sobering Saga of Myrtle the Manuscript. :) It's a story about what actually happens to a story manuscript when you send it to a magazine. Fun and funny, plus some great info.

Angie

Charles Gramlich 3/27/2009 10:38:00 AM  

being one of those professor types myself, I don't know if I could stand to listen to more of my own kind.

Edie 3/27/2009 02:43:00 PM  

I'm with Eric. I need to cut down the sites I visit. Just yesterday Michelle Diener told me about Language is a Virus website. Since you do Nano, you probably know about it already. I put its word meter on my site. :)

Robin 3/27/2009 08:13:00 PM  

Those are great sites! What cool ideas! I'm such a superficial loser that when I browse the web I go to shopping sites to see what's in style. If you want to come over to the dark side, www.shopbop.com has something called "Lookbook" that is ubercool. The looks are way more creative than stuff you see in regular magazines. OK. Shut up, Robin.

Lisa 3/27/2009 11:32:00 PM  

Oh yes yes yes - cool and fun sites! Bevie at Voice In The Wind suggested we create superheros and create a story. So FairyHedgeHog
provided a link to HeroMachine
(Bevie also had a link but it was terribly slow loading.)
I've spent HOURS playing with it and posted my Super Hero - Gatto Dea is on my blog.
My oh my how much time I waste putzing online!
Fairyhedgehog also has a cute hamster on her blog that you can feed and play with. Really cute.
Oh Bevie provided a coloring site.

laughingwolf 3/28/2009 12:55:00 AM  

neat links, thx spy :D

LaDonna 3/28/2009 01:21:00 PM  

Great topic, Spy! And I love the links. I've been trying to surf the net less lately. So far, good.

I have my fav sites, yours included. I love checking out books on Amazon too.

spyscribbler 3/28/2009 04:35:00 PM  

Eric, it's such a good point. With music, I could not have replicated that experience or what I learned without the conservatory.

I was always rather proactive about making sure I got the best teachers. But I was one of the few who worked their way through. It makes a difference, I think.

spyscribbler 3/28/2009 04:36:00 PM  

Oh that's hilarious, Angie! Thanks for the link!

spyscribbler 3/28/2009 04:36:00 PM  

LOL, Charles! Who can blame you?

spyscribbler 3/28/2009 04:36:00 PM  

Edie, I did not know about the website at ALL! Wow, what an awesome resource! I can spend hours digging in here!

spyscribbler 3/28/2009 04:38:00 PM  

Robin, I'm usually not into that sort of thing at all. I'm feeling... happy today. I just spent an hour looking at dresses. I love dresses. I'm getting a haircut on Tuesday, too.

spyscribbler 3/28/2009 04:46:00 PM  

Lisa, I just colored a cat on the roof online. It was very relaxing. :-)

spyscribbler 3/28/2009 04:46:00 PM  

Hey, laughingwolf! Nice to see you!

spyscribbler 3/28/2009 04:46:00 PM  

LaDonna, I'm terrible with my "Kindle Books" link!

Kath Calarco 3/28/2009 05:42:00 PM  

Spy, I know what you mean about the amount of money one has to spend just for a piece of paper indicating they know something. I'm looking into low residency M.F.A. programs just so I can have a piece of paper, too. :)

I haven't found any cool web sites. Like LaDonna, I'm cutting back on my web time.

Janet 4/01/2009 09:11:00 PM  

You can hear the lectures online, but you can't demonstrate that you understand them. Education is about a lot more than listening to lectures. But you already knew that...

Angie 4/02/2009 12:01:00 AM  

Documentaries don't come with quizzes either, but that's no reason to stop making them, or for regular people to stop watching them. My husband and I watch a lot of educational programming -- we just finished watching a show about the recent surge of activity in Kilauea, in fact, and it was pretty cool and I learned a few things. I don't need a teacher to be giving me tests or demanding I write papers to make that a worthwhile learning experience. Same with televised lectures; I've seen some of those too on cable and they're great.

Sure, the experience isn't as intense as it is in a classroom, where you read or hear the material, then discuss it, ask and answer questions, take an exam, write a paper, etc., but for people who aren't in school, I think anything we get out of any educational opportunity is points ahead.

Angie