Sunday, March 01, 2009

A Sunday Chat: More Than You Wanted To Know

image It’s time for my favorite blog of the week: the Sunday chat. Well, you didn’t know about it, did you? Every Sunday, I kinda like to know about you guys’ lives. You know, what you’re writing, what you’re up to, what’s going on. So what’s up with you guys? Anything? I already read your blogs, so what’s up with the day-to-day life of you this past week? Next week?

Are you happy? Sad? Anxious? On an upswing? Downswing?

My Boring Life:
I didn’t finish my taxes, but I hope to finish today. I did finish estimating my taxes. Let’s hope I didn’t overestimate, LOL, but it looks like things are going to go perfectly this year.

Knock on wood and pray, please.

Glenn sounds miserable. We’ve hardly been able to talk at all. At least two nights a week, I only get 1 1/2 hours of sleep. Most other nights it’s 4 1/2 – 5, and then a couple days a week I’ll crash in bed for 10 hours.

I’m hoping to finish taxes today: that will be a big project done.

I have been attempting to stop and read in bed at 9pm no matter how much is undone. This was great for one night, but we’re making slow progress on this. I just really want to get most of this gunk cleared off my plate so I can focus on writing. I did maybe 500 words last week and I hate that.

I had about eight asthma attacks this week.

I saw the dentist. Felt badly because I completely lost my temper. My teeth will never be fixed, it seems. Maybe in six more months I’ll be able to eat normally again?

When you’re a pianist, you look at hands a lot. I can tell people’s ages by their hands.

My hands are aging. A lot.

image Six more weeks until Glenn gets home. I think we’re going to go see the cherry blossoms in DC. We go to DC every Memorial Day, but we’ve never been during the cherry blossom festival.

Writing is really stop and go amidst dental visits, asthma attacks, spring piano events, and life. I can’t stand that. I’ve been reading quite a bit in snatches, though. I’m almost through Charlaine Harris’s backlist.

So that’s my very boring life. I’m about to have another attack: lungs are tickling.

I’ve had nose sneezes all my life, but it wasn’t until this year when I’ve started sneezing from inside my lungs. Weird freaking sensation. I bet all you allergy-sufferers know what that’s like!

Now on to your lives… what’s up? Big, little, boring, fascinating… let’s hear it!

29 bonus scribbles:

Georgie B 3/01/2009 06:38:00 AM  

Wow, you sure did cover a lot of ground. Lets see what I can come up with in as few words as possibe, because as you know, I'm a man of few words. :-]

I had a short story of mine accepted by an editor/writer to tinker with, so that made my year that someone else besides myself, family and friends saw something in my writing.

Sympathize with the asthma. Long term going on 35 years.

I'm taking a mini-vaca from my blog this week. It seems I'm getting a little stale with my creativity at the moment, so I'll be off and running, creating (what else) a new blog for my latest writing obssession: flash fiction.

Beyond that, just trying to keep my head above water without going ga-ga.

writtenwyrdd 3/01/2009 07:33:00 AM  

You've been very busy with no time to be bored, it seems. But I know what you mean about life getting in the way of what you want to do. Now that my move is over I'm trying to get back into writing. Today I have a day off and I have to do home improvement tasks and I really don't want to.

Edie 3/01/2009 11:01:00 AM  

I like your Sunday chat. Hugs on the asthma and the dentist. Don't feel bad about being angry at him. I'd be furious.

I have to do taxes, but I put it off. Not my favorite thing to do. I'll start today.

I finaled in the Chase the Dream contest with my wip. (I thought I'd end on a happy note. lol)

Liz Wolfe 3/01/2009 12:22:00 PM  

What am I doing today? First, cleaning the bedroom. One of those top to bottom scrub everything cleanings. I just got home from a looooong trip to Tucson and while The Husband can and does clean the house, evidently he cannot SEE dust. In between cleaning spurts, I'll be working on my wip and trying to decide if it's urban fantasy or paranormal suspense. Why can't i just write something squarely in the middle of ONE genre?

Charles Gramlich 3/01/2009 12:54:00 PM  

Sorry to hear about the asthma attacks. That must really interfere with things you want to accomplish. My week was much more relaxed since I was off work this past week. Now I'll have to try and get caught up this week, because work doesn't stop piling up just because one is on break.

Eric Mayer,  3/01/2009 02:35:00 PM  

Hope things improve. Sounds like you're going through a real rough time.

Nothing much going on here. Trying to survive the winter. My big accomplishment the last couple months has been to finally get back to reading more. When I was very young I read voraciously but when I got to law school, got a job, was supporting a family, I didn't have as much time and what spare time I did have I used for my own creative projects -- mostly writing. But I finally realized that by doing a little less web surfing, a little less writing, I could free up plenty of reading time. Heck, mostly I just got out of the habit of reading a lot. So that's been good. I just finally read William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land. Great book but the romance/erotic (well, some have termed it "erotic") part is really peculiar.

Travis Erwin 3/01/2009 02:36:00 PM  

Me? I'm just getting antsy to move to our new place and set up my permanent workspace. I've recaptured my writing fever.

Robin 3/01/2009 03:28:00 PM  

This is fun! I like hearing about everyone's week, although I'm really sorry about the asthma and dentist thing. *sympathy hug*

I had a normal, really weird week at work, which culminated in such an irritating Friday that I almost lost my temper with my secretaries. (That absolutely never happens, but they were sooooo spazzy, it made me nutso.)

We caught Alex inviting friends over when we went to NYC yesterday, and now he's grounded. I asked my friend Diane to go to the house and catch them, and she did. She said one of the kids had a bottle of Snapple, filled with urine. Let's not think about what those morons were going to do with that, shall we?

Sarah Laurenson 3/01/2009 03:34:00 PM  

Ugh. That does not sound pleasant at all. From the teeth to the asthma. You poor thing!

My feet have been my main concern for quite some time. And I'm in my oversized slippers again for a few days. I never thought trying to get rid of warts would be such a long involved and painful process. We've done the freezing, lasers, slash and burn and cantharidin (which I blogged about last month). Progress is being made but it's very slow. I have yet to decide if this effort is worth it. From what I've read, they'll just come back.

But that's my only real gripe and it's fairly minor. I have a good job, a nice house, my animals are doing well, my wife and I are very much in love, and life is good. My writing is coming along. I think I have an agent, if I say yes - she and I will talk more when I finish this WIP. It's all good. Trudging along and trying to actually finish this WIP and make it good - really good.

spyscribbler 3/01/2009 03:36:00 PM  

Georgie, no need to try to write with as few words as possible here. :-) Plenty of room!

Congratulations on your short story, Georgie! That's awesome!

Asthma is new to me. Adult-onset runs in the family, but mine onset early due to mold in the house. :-( I'm learning to deal with and manage it. Sort of. At least I don't sob after every attack, now!

Flash fiction! That is cool. I admire people who write flash fiction!

I sure hear you about keeping the head above water, Georgie. What else can you do?

spyscribbler 3/01/2009 03:37:00 PM  

Written, me too! Well, I had tax tasks I had to do, during 5 hours free this afternoon. Instead, I surfed the internet, I'm going shopping, and when I'm done teaching at 9pm, I'm watching Brothers & Sisters for two hours. :-)

spyscribbler 3/01/2009 03:41:00 PM  

CONGRATULATIONS, Edie!

(I have to tell you, I keep mentally saying words of enthusiasm, but then deleting them. I'm a little superstitious. Just to warn you so you won't be surprised when one day I blurt out, "I knew it! See? I told you so!)

I did my taxes roughly, just enough to know about what I owe. Now I can procrastinate another month!

spyscribbler 3/01/2009 03:43:00 PM  

Liz!!! Hi! How are you?! I thought you'd given up blogging forever! It's so good to see you. I was going to pop by soon. :-)

Glenn bought me a day of housecleaning. They got every little corner in my house for only $90. Every speck of dust. The peace in my home and the good feeling is priceless. I'm doing it at least once a month, now.

spyscribbler 3/01/2009 03:45:00 PM  

Charles, isn't that the truth? I've been working on allowing work to pile up so I can take a break now and then. When I go back, refreshed, it's worth it! (At least that's what I'm telling myself.)

spyscribbler 3/01/2009 03:49:00 PM  

LOL, Eric! I was nodding politely until I got to the "peculiar" part. I was so curious what "peculiar" eroticism was, that I had the book sent to my Kindle!

It's not so rough. I'm just overwhelmed, and I swear asthma or the asthma medicine makes me an emotional basketcase. I'm up, down, up, down, and that's not how I usually am!

spyscribbler 3/01/2009 03:50:00 PM  

Travis, I can't wait to see your new writing space! It sounds cool!

I know what you mean about itching to get back to writing! It's a good feeling!

spyscribbler 3/01/2009 03:53:00 PM  

ROFL, Robin! Oh man. That cracks me up. I had a boyfriend in college who--kid you not--would pee in empty coke bottles, beer bottles, whatever, rather than get out of bed and go to the damn bathroom.

Anyway, it could be worse: it could be a beer bottle of pee. :-)

Angie 3/01/2009 04:20:00 PM  

Last week was just sort of marking time, waiting for this annoying sorta-cold to leave. I'm still hacking occasionally and I'm ready for it to be over with. [sigh]

Focus right now is EPICon. I'm leaving on Wednesday night and that should be fun, or at least interesting. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to win my category, though -- I read all the competition, and there's one that just blows away the field. Great stuff, and if this other book wins I definitely won't mind losing to it. :)

I didn't get my teeth fixed (I just hate going to the dentist, and even thinking about picking up a phone to find one churns my stomach) so people are going to have to deal with me as I am. I didn't volunteer for any panels because of it; I definitely have to do something about this soon. It's one of those things I want to have done, but don't want to do, you know? [sigh]

Oh, and Jim noticed on Friday that our water heater was leaking, and apparently had been for some time; we hardly ever go in the garage so we just hadn't noticed. Got that replaced yesterday, for about a thousand dollars, yay.

Good stuff -- although my writing word count was pathetic in February, most of it was the last week or so, which is good. It bodes well for March being much better. :)

Angie

spyscribbler 3/01/2009 05:43:00 PM  

Wow, Sarah, those are all wonderful things! Very wonderful things! The foot thing must feel like a damn biting mosquito on a beautiful, perfect evening with friends and food and fire!

Argh!

spyscribbler 3/01/2009 05:45:00 PM  

Angie, that's a huge deal. It really poked at Glenn's self-confidence a lot. In fact, I sorta wonder if he didn't go on more local job interviews because of it. I'm doing major job shopping for him. I want to find him a local, higher-paying job so he can be home!

Heather Harper 3/01/2009 06:54:00 PM  

I am so sorry about your teeth and your asthma and your sleeping woes. :-(

Do you have medication for the attacks?

I began taking antibiotics for my face (rosacea) about a week ago and they work and I'm not happy about it because I am totally paranoid about continued use. But the dang antibiotic gel for my face dries my skin out and doesn't work as well.

Poopy.

I've been writing every day. Some days more than others. I'm not paying attention to words count at all. It's just really freaking great to see progress.

Waiting for news about hubs job that will probably arrive this month.

Sigh.

Lisa 3/01/2009 08:58:00 PM  

I'm sorry to hear about your asthma attacks. Are these full blown attacks that landed you in the hospital or episodes where you needed an inhaler. (My husband has asthma and regularly takes medication.)

I've had a good week. This past Saturday I volunteered at a fund raiser for the Pat Brody Shelter for Cats and it went well.

I'm rather distressed at late to learn that a fellow blogger will be forced out of their home this summer. How very heart breaking. I'm further distressed that they have a cat and I'm not entirely sure that their plan is to find a place that will allow the cat. Working at a cat shelter, I see first hand the pain that cats who once had loving homes feel.

But for me, so far life is going well. We might some nice snow fall tonight and I can go XC skiing tomorrow - woo hoo.

My husband and I went to see Dirty Dancing (the play/musical) last week. I really enjoyed it and was surprised at how quickly the time flew by.

spyscribbler 3/01/2009 09:24:00 PM  

Aw, Heather, that's annoying! But nice that it works! I don't like to take antibiotics, either. :-(

I have an inhaler. I think it makes me depressed, and it definitely keeps me awake, LOL!

That's forever to wait on such a huge deal! I've got my fingers crossed for you guys, Heather!

spyscribbler 3/01/2009 11:01:00 PM  

Episodes, Lisa. No turning blue, yet. Don't even say it! I'm new to asthma. My mother has it, so getting it as an adult sort of runs in our family, but I honestly don't know much about it. I use Glenn's inhaler. Haven't been to the doctor for it since we don't have health insurance.

Awww, no! One of our cats was abandoned. It was SO sad! And he's the sweetest ever!

I hope you have fun skiing, Lisa!

L.C. Gant 3/01/2009 11:16:00 PM  

Eight asthma attacks in one week?! Yikes! Maybe you should get that checked out. I've had it for the past 8 years so I feel your pain.

I have a slight phobia of dentists so I'm not even going to go there. I just hope that gets better for you soon :-(

I changed the look of my blog and I'm very happy with the results. I also just finished the Just Write Challenge for February, and I'm doing it again for March. The accountability factor really helps keep me focused!

I'm writing a YA sci-fi novel about teen shape shifters. I hope to have it revised and start querying agents by my birthday (in October). Concept wise, think "Push" but with more people of color. I'm big on diversity in my writing. Ugh, just remembered I have to do taxes too.

That's it for me. Sorry, I'm kinda boring :-P

Melanie Avila 3/02/2009 09:39:00 AM  

Geez, Spy, take care of yourself!

Not much going on here. I've written about 500 words this past week too - for the first time in almost a month. I'm hoping to swing my other leg over the horse today.

spyscribbler 3/03/2009 03:13:00 PM  

I love your new blog look, L.C.! It's awesome. I'm just tickled pink by how just the middle scrolls.

Teen shape-shifters! I love it! I've recently come to enjoy reading YA, and it must be a blast to write. Good luck, L.C.!

spyscribbler 3/03/2009 03:14:00 PM  

Melanie, that's great! Things have been SO slow for me lately. I've been so busy and stressed that even my "imagining time" has been taken up by outside dramas. Grrr.

Onward and upward!