Sunday, March 22, 2009

This Is Serious.

Sunday seems to be my day to blog three times, and then I have no time to blog the rest of the week. Give me a couple more weeks, and I should be back to normal.

Anyway, I had to blog again, because I have a serious problem. Really serious.

It started a couple months ago. As y’all know, dairy causes asthma in me so I generally avoid it except when I’m being stupid, which is more often than I’d care to admit. 

Dairy pretty much knocked out 90% of my comfort food.

Sugar provides for the last 10%.

But in the past few weeks, I suddenly don’t like sugar. I mean, I can’t eat it. Can’t eat it. The thought of eating my favorite snack (ginger thins iced with butter/powdered sugar icing) makes me shudder and go ick!

So now I am left with NO comfort foods.

Have your tastes every drastically changed like this? PLEASE TELL ME I WILL RETURN TO NORMAL! I mean, I CAN’T EVEN EAT CHOCOLATE! This is REALLY SCARY!

And I’m mourning the loss of all my comfort foods. I don’t feel like eating anything, really.

Ever go through this?

33 bonus scribbles:

rjkeller 3/22/2009 10:06:00 PM  

Spy!! I feel your pain. I'm asthmatic, too, and dairy affects me the same way.

Might I suggest sugar free fudgsicles? They're not as bad as they sound (LOL). They're sweet and cold and chocolate, but don't have any dairy or sugar.

Heather Harper 3/23/2009 12:09:00 AM  

My taste buds changed when I quit eating meat. And I now prefer soy over dairy. The better I eat, the more I crave it.

StarvingWriteNow 3/23/2009 05:54:00 AM  

The only time that happened to me was when I was pregnant--I normally loved chicken, ate it all the time, then I couldn't even look at it during that time or I'd feel like I was going to throw up. It passed. I am sure yours will as well, in time. Meanwhile, stay away from dairy and eat well!

G 3/23/2009 06:49:00 AM  

Yup.

Being a semi-bad diabetic, I can't tell you how many times I've had to tweak my diet.

It's gotten to the point where I now cook for myself.

Erica Orloff 3/23/2009 10:12:00 AM  

Hi Spy:
With Crohn's disease, I have no emotional relationship with food. Because at times I have been hooked up to TPN, which means I don't eat food and only get nutrition via a port . . . I have had to separate myself from it. Now that I eat healthy/vegetarian for the most part . . . I have lost even the bit of me that liked an occasional candy bar. I would say think of something that is a treat . . . (for me, it's sushi) and use that, Reconfigure your emotional pathways so that something wonderful FOR you and future baby is your comfort. Embrace that thinking in a zen way, and I bet it can help. For me, it's cold soba noodles. When I was preggers, I went for sushi and rice. My friends from Laos would say, in broken English, "Oh . . . your baby will be so smart. So smart!" And I just reinforced all this positivity to that food.

E

Edie 3/23/2009 10:19:00 AM  

When I was pregnant, I lost my appetite and forced myself to eat for the baby. It hasn't happened since.

Maybe this is a good thing. Sugar is my downfall. You're forced to eat healthy. lol

Amy Sue Nathan 3/23/2009 10:49:00 AM  

Breaking the habit from any comfort food is a tough thing -- and comfort food differs from satisfying food. With time, satisfying foods will alleviate the need for comfort foods. I try to stick with whole grains - pasta fits the bill for me.

Aimless Writer 3/23/2009 12:55:00 PM  

Could be hormones? Doesn't the body change every seven years?
Just go with the flow...maybe carrot sticks will be your new comfort food?
Or maybe not.
I love dairy too but it doesn't love me so much.
Just think, humans are the only animal on earth that drinks the milk from another animal....
I think there's something wrong here....

Robin 3/23/2009 04:00:00 PM  

Isn't this sort of a good thing? I mean, I think everything's a comfort food, and it makes it tough to diet. If you're cured of emotional eating, you can just eat stuff that's good for you. You could potentially become the most healthy human, ever!

lainey bancroft 3/23/2009 05:09:00 PM  

"I don’t feel like eating anything, really.

Ever go through this?"

Sadly, no. :(
I have lost my taste for things by times--couldn't eat meat of any kind when I was pregnant with dd, and chocolate and I are no longer friends, but I can always find something I feel like eating.

If you can't have dairy and don't have a desire for sugar, maybe you could experiment with new spices to give your taste buds a kick. Curry, ginger, tandoori...something with a distinctive flavor that makes your tummy all warm and happy.

spyscribbler 3/23/2009 06:33:00 PM  

Oh, RJ, it's awful! That's a great suggestion. Glenn loves those. I don't do well with artificial sweeteners, but even so... the sweet taste is what repulses me, even though I crave it emotionally.

Melanie Avila 3/23/2009 07:40:00 PM  

LOL, I don't know what to tell you. I have a jar of Nutella in the cupboard with cobwebs because it hasn't sounded good in months. Who knew?

Oh, and maybe you could schedule your blogs to post the following day when you get multi-inspired?

spyscribbler 3/23/2009 09:18:00 PM  

This is true, Heather. I am craving Edamame beans like CRAZY, lately! And although I hate soy, I love all things almond milk. If they would make almond milk ice cream, I'd be in heaven.

spyscribbler 3/23/2009 09:19:00 PM  

Writenow, I would love for this to pass. I mean, I want to enjoy my chocolate! It's special to me!

spyscribbler 3/23/2009 09:20:00 PM  

G, aw, I'm sorry! I've had trouble with that cooking thing, too, since my husband will only eat some things, and my diet is so restrictive. It's hard!

spyscribbler 3/23/2009 09:20:00 PM  

Mark, pizza has dairy on it!

But boy, I REALLY LOVE pizza. It's like my favorite food.

spyscribbler 3/23/2009 09:23:00 PM  

Erica, I thought of you when I was whining, LOL. But seriously, how did you replace that emotional need? Because I've gotten rid of the desire for food, but I still have that gaping emotional need-of-crutch area that doesn't know where to turn.

Glenn coming home soon should help, LOL!

spyscribbler 3/23/2009 09:25:00 PM  

Edie, mine, too! Sugar just rules. Well, except now. This is such a strange place for me!

spyscribbler 3/23/2009 09:27:00 PM  

Amy, I'm not much for grains at all except brown rice. I eat a ton of fish, LOL.

spyscribbler 3/23/2009 09:30:00 PM  

Wouldn't that be awesome, Aimless? I think the dairy thing is weird, definitely. We're so addicted to it now!

spyscribbler 3/23/2009 09:31:00 PM  

Hah! But Robin, how do I plug the emotional need gaps that used to be filled by chocolate, LOL?!

spyscribbler 3/23/2009 09:32:00 PM  

LOL, Lainey, I'm eating Indian food now. A whole lot of it has dairy, though, isn't that amazing? BUt it's REALLY good.

No chocolate? Ohmigosh! I mourn chocolate and I's separation!

spyscribbler 3/23/2009 09:33:00 PM  

Melanie, I tried that, but I haven't quite got that worked out. I know how to do it in Blogger, but I was trying to do it in Live Writer. :-(

Nutella! Yes! Oh wow, I love Nutella! And how weird is it that it sounds yucky to me right now?

Caryn Caldwell 3/23/2009 10:25:00 PM  

Oh, no! That sounds both good and bad -- good because it's probably better for you, and bad because, well, life is better with comfort foods. That said, lately I've started getting headaches when I eat too much sugar, so I know a little about what you're going through. Can you try finding other comfort foods? Maybe now's the time to cultivate other habits?

LaDonna 3/24/2009 01:28:00 PM  

Spy, some wierd stuff has definitely been going on lately. It's not just you. My daughter and I recently went through a period where we couldn't eat enough, of anything. Very bad on the weight thing. Then other times, I could care less and eat only because I know I have to. I've been craving brown rice lately, and that's good. Although, I get the individual containers you pop in the microwave. lol. Probably not as healthy. I still have a love affair with chocolate. Can't imagine that ever changing.

Good luck figuring it out, and keep us posted.

Dal Jeanis 3/24/2009 04:24:00 PM  

You should be able to make almond milk ice (or granita) if you want it. Check whole foods for a thickening agent like carageenan.

Barrie 3/25/2009 03:54:00 PM  

Could you make your own almond milk ice cream?

In terms of food enjoyment, I had an ulcer in my colon for a while. And all my normal foods were pretty much crossed off my list. It took me a while to look forward to meals, but slowly I found other foods I really enjoyed. So sorry you're going through this. xo

spyscribbler 3/26/2009 09:38:00 AM  

Caryn, hopefully I will! Wouldn't it be great to see celery as a "comfort" food? LOL! Can you imagine? Awesome!

spyscribbler 3/26/2009 09:39:00 AM  

LaDonna, I have a rice cooker, and I am totally in love with rice now! Yummy! I can't get enough of rice and fish.

I miss chocolate, though!

spyscribbler 3/26/2009 09:39:00 AM  

Dal Jeanis, I've been meaning to, for sure! I bet it would taste AWESOME!

spyscribbler 3/26/2009 09:40:00 AM  

Barrie, I'm dying to try! I think I'm definitely going to give it a shot. I want to get one of those ice cream maker balls you roll on the floor. They're really cheap, and it would be easy to try with that.

Barbara Martin 3/26/2009 12:59:00 PM  

There are many different types of food out there that will cover those cravings you have, Spy. I've gone back to eating natural foods and home-cooking to eradicate those preservatives we tend to eat at fast food places. I bake a plain biscuit with raisins or almond slivers added. I remove the 1 tsp of sugar from the receipe and don't notice the lack of sweetner.

Bitter-sweet dark chocolate has less sugar than the other chocolate types.

Whatever sweet taste I get, is from the fruit I eat.

Have you tried an apple cider vinegar cleanse? That may help you with these cravings you've been having. I'm on one now and find whatever I eat tastes so much better. My cravings for things have all but disappeared, including those 3 p.m. snacks.