Saturday, April 04, 2009

The Boat Broke.

image It sorta looks small in this picture, but it actually houses about 300 people or so. Those are little boats dropping off fish, and this is by Dutch Harbor. Yeah, those are the Deadliest Catch waters.

It doesn't look like it would hold that many people, but that's a big mountain in the background, and I think it throws the perspective off.

But it broke. Glenn caught a cell tower on the way home, and called to say that he would be late. The boat is, evidently, "limping home." He should be home by the 14th if "all goes well."

*sigh*

The extra money is going to be nice, but I was really hoping we could spend spring break together. Oh well. We might get a few days. I haven't been in contact with him for a week while they were making their way wherever they are, and I haven't actually heard his voice for about three weeks.

Boy, I really miss him big.

I do have lots of work to do, so I guess the time to do it will be good. I can get it done before he gets here. Gosh, I really miss him.

So anyway, it's (nearly) Sunday. How's the WIP? How's it writing? Is it in the flow stage, the regular stage, the grinding stage? How are you? What's up with you?

Oh--they ran into two storms, too. Here's a "fun" video of the Bering Sea, where he was. These are the little boats. Glenn's on the big boat, which Glenn tells me is perfectly safe. Even broken. (Can you imagine the expression on my face right now?)

26 bonus scribbles:

G 4/05/2009 07:17:00 AM  

I know this going to sound like a stupid question (and believe me, I've asked my share of stupid questions in the blog world), but what does Glenn exactly do for a living?

Amy Sue Nathan 4/05/2009 08:36:00 AM  

No wonder worry is part of your day...he's far away, you miss him and you can watch these videos and worry more. Sometimes I think it's all TMI, y'know? I'm glad he was able to contact you to say he's OK...

As for my WIP, it has been spring break here and my schedule is all outta whack. Tomorrow, back in the whack. ;)

Robin 4/05/2009 10:34:00 AM  

Wow! Boats can't break! They're in the water! Doesn't anyone know the "no breaking" rule? How silly.

Sorry about the delay. I know you were really looking to seeing him. That bites.

Bevie 4/05/2009 10:37:00 AM  

No wonder crab costs so much. Whatever those sailors are being paid, it isn't enough.

Edie 4/05/2009 10:53:00 AM  

Wow! I like being on water and the rocking motion of a boat, but don't know if I'd like that. Hugs on the delay home. :(

Charles Gramlich 4/05/2009 12:46:00 PM  

I prefer to be a little more comfortable in my fishing.

Eric Mayer 4/05/2009 12:58:00 PM  

Sheesh. You don't expect boats to break.

I echo G's question. I'm kind of a newcomer here.

Melanie Avila 4/05/2009 07:03:00 PM  

I hope for your sanity you didn't watch that entire video. I watched 15 seconds and that was enough.

I'm really sorry he's been delayed, but it's good they are only arriving late, and that there weren't any accidents.

My wip has been limping along but this morning I got a little disgusted with myself and decided I need to force more words per day so I can finish the new writes and move on to actual editing.

G 4/05/2009 08:16:00 PM  

Wow, shows you how quick I'm on the uptake today.

It only took me 13 hours to remember that you asked a question.

My WiP is sailing along quite well, I'm doing on the average about 800 words per day.

writtenwyrdd 4/05/2009 08:29:00 PM  

so he's on a processing plant boat and not tossing nets or crab pots or whatever? That is a lot safer. But I understand your worry and feel for ya!

I've been writing a bit. As usual, not a vast amount of forward progress, but I've been progressing.

Karen Olson 4/06/2009 09:14:00 AM  

Glad at least that he's on his way and it wasn't worse.

Finished my second tattoo shop mystery, Pretty in Ink, yesterday. Now it's with three readers. Hope they read fast. It's due to my editor May 1!

spyscribbler 4/06/2009 11:09:00 AM  

G, right now he works in the kitchen of a big boat. :-) It's sort of a temporary thing. 3 more times, max! We hope!

spyscribbler 4/06/2009 11:10:00 AM  

Amy, I avoided watching these videos for an entire year and a half! Then I accidentally saw one, and the damage was done. :-)

My life never seems to be in the whack. :-) Good luck!

spyscribbler 4/06/2009 11:11:00 AM  

Robin, DEFINITELY! I must inform them immediately about the no-breaking rule. I'm sure, once they understand, they'll avoid breaking again. :-)

spyscribbler 4/06/2009 11:12:00 AM  

Oh, Bevie, that's for sure! They lose a lot of people each year. It's frightening, for sure.

spyscribbler 4/06/2009 11:12:00 AM  

Edie, me too... but that does go beyond rocking, doesn't it? A little scary!

spyscribbler 4/06/2009 11:14:00 AM  

Seriously, Eric! Right now, he works in the kitchen of a big fish-processor boat thing. It's temporary. 3 more trips max. Definitely.

spyscribbler 4/06/2009 11:16:00 AM  

Melanie, I'm disgusted with my inability to work faster, lately. Oh well. We can only do the best we can do!

I did watch. The ocean is absolutely fascinating to me. I half want to be there.

spyscribbler 4/06/2009 11:17:00 AM  

Wow, G, that's awesome! I envy your progress, right now, I really do! I'm limping along slower than Glenn's journey home!

spyscribbler 4/06/2009 11:18:00 AM  

Written, DEFINITELY safer! Tons! A million times safer!

Forward progress is progress! I'm thankful for any progress right now!

spyscribbler 4/06/2009 11:19:00 AM  

Karen, I LOVE that title! LOL! That title rocks! You sound pretty ahead of the game, to me! I'm never done a month beforehand!

Eric Mayer 4/06/2009 12:49:00 PM  

Wow. Working on a fish processing ship. Sounds pretty tough. I guess I know all about that since I just read Moby Dick :)

Avery DeBow 4/06/2009 12:51:00 PM  

Geez, you don't get a break, do you? I'm sorry he's so delayed. But, as long as he's safe and sound, it's a good thing.

colbymarshall 4/06/2009 08:16:00 PM  

You don't miss him, do you? *grins*

Barrie 4/07/2009 10:23:00 AM  

Oh, how disappointing. Hang in there. xo
Yesterday, was a slow-pulling-out-of-words kind of day for me. ;(