Thursday, April 02, 2009

Stories I Ache to Write

image Last night, I spent an hour tearing up the house, trying to find my Jane Eyre DVDs. (My favorite version. My second favorite version is this one.) I couldn’t find them. I was practically in tears. If I hadn’t been carrying them in my computer bag for months like a security blanket, I probably wouldn’t have lost them.

But I’m in the mood, and I NEED to watch Jane Eyre, just like there are times when I NEED to listen to Faure’s Requiem Mass or Mozart’s Requiem Mass or Orff’s Carmina Burana (turned so loud the floor I’m laying on vibrates.)

I pretty much continuously read Jane Eyre all the time. Maybe only once a week, but I’m always in the middle of it or starting over. I’ve probably been continuously reading it for a couple years, and before that, I’d read it every year or so.

Jane Eyre is the book I would LOVE to write.

image Same with Alias. Yeah, it’s a TV series, but the twists and the plot and the character development are incredible. It’s the only TV series I own, and I own every single season. I tend to watch that one continuously, too.

I would just LOVE to write Alias.

I was wondering: Do you have books, TV series, or movies that you would LOVE to write? Maybe the same as it is, or maybe with your own spin? Do you ache to write them?

Do you have TV series or books that you watch over and over, for years? So much so that they become friends?

25 bonus scribbles:

Robin 4/02/2009 07:28:00 PM  

I wish I wrote every one of David Sedaris' books! And I wish I could read out loud like him, too!

Edie 4/02/2009 11:16:00 PM  

NCIS! It's not the NCIS stuff I like, it's the characters and their reactions to each other.

I would've loved to have written Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. I read Jane Eyre a few times, but it's been years. I loved it, but I was more of a Jane Austen fan.

Eric Mayer 4/02/2009 11:55:00 PM  

Well, any good book I'm reading I'm wishing I could write it the whole time.

As for writing Jane Eyre, maybe, like the Jorge Luis Borges character who wanted to write Don Quixote, you need first to become Charlotte Bronte.

Amy Sue Nathan 4/03/2009 12:05:00 AM  

I've never thought that before - what book do I wish I'd written. I read this post earlier and then wanted to give it some thought. I have devoured books, loved them, laid them on my chest after each chapter to let it soak into my bones. But I think the book I've read recently that is destined to stick with me for a long time is "Starting Out in the Evening." It's the only book in a long time where I went searching through the book for certain lines after I'd finished.

I also wish I could have written Life on Mars. The series just ended after one season and it was very clever. To me, clever is something I'd like to be. I'm smart but I'm not sure I'm clever.

Nadine 4/03/2009 12:44:00 AM  

I would love to write The Thirteenth Tale. I thought that was an awesome book.

And I would love to write Sex & the City. I own the series and the movie and have watched all of them so many times that they do feel like my friends.

And I would love to write Juno. So much witty banter, I love it! I wish I had more wit.

Erica Orloff 4/03/2009 06:53:00 AM  

I'm with Robin, but I will settle for David being my next husband. The whole little side issue of his being gay is really . . . unimportant. ;-)

As you know, I cannot stop touting The Lives of Others (German movie). I wish I had written the script.

E

writtenwyrdd 4/03/2009 08:19:00 AM  

There are a number of books that make me feel like you do Jane Eyre (which I personally loathe beyond description, almost as much as I loathe Wuthering Heights) but I would love to have written Sunshine by Robin McKinley, Gene Wolfe's Citadel of the Autarch, or God Stalk by P.C. Hodgell. Among others.

Jenna 4/03/2009 08:53:00 AM  

I wish I wrote Middlesex and not because of its success or that Oprah eventually picked it but because it's a big book, a family saga, that is brilliantly woven together. Same with Secret Life of Bees, not because of the success but because it touched so many hearts.

As for TV shows, I wish I had wrote Lost...the characters are awesome, some of the lines brilliant, and the twists unbelievable.

spyscribbler 4/03/2009 11:10:00 AM  

Robin, I can see that! Although, I laugh more at your humor than his. :-)

spyscribbler 4/03/2009 11:11:00 AM  

NCIS rocks, Edie! I haven't kept up with this season, but I'm planning to watch it all with Netflix.

Garden Spells has been sitting in my TBR pile for years. I need to read it, now. And I LOVE Jane Austen!

spyscribbler 4/03/2009 11:12:00 AM  

That's cool, Eric. LOL, I forget about Don Quixote! I used to love the musical... I think I'll pass on the Charlotte Bronte life. It seemed like it sucked, pretty much, LOL!

spyscribbler 4/03/2009 11:14:00 AM  

Amy, you've mentioned that book on your blog, haven't you? I need to put that on my list. I'm intrigued.

I saw a passing bit of Life on Mars. It looked interesting! I'll have to check it out. Did they end the series for good? If they did, then I won't. That always breaks my heart. They do it too much nowadays.

spyscribbler 4/03/2009 11:14:00 AM  

Nadine, I loved Juno! And Sex and the City! Definitely friends. I have The Thirteenth Tale on my Kindle, and I definitely mean to read it!

spyscribbler 4/03/2009 11:16:00 AM  

Hah! That's funny, Erica! You do keep mentioning that. I just put it at the top of my Netflix queue. (Seriously!)

spyscribbler 4/03/2009 11:17:00 AM  

Writtenwyrdd, you must be the one who recommended Sunshine to me. I actually bought it, the physical copy. (Only one of 3 "real" books I've bought this year not available on Kindle.) I started it and loved it. It's on my TBR list, for sure!

spyscribbler 4/03/2009 11:19:00 AM  

Jenna, I started Middlesex this spring and got sidetracked. But within the first few pages, I was going, "YES! This is EXACTLY the kind of fiction I love!" He reminded me a bit of John Irving, who I think is just about the most perfect novelist I can imagine at the moment.

Robin 4/03/2009 11:24:00 AM  

I loved Alias too and would love to write that. Currently, I'm hooked on Bones and wish I wrote that.

marciacolette 4/03/2009 03:27:00 PM  

Sadly, yes. I could watch Threshold over and over and over and... The same with my Dr. Who (Tom Baker) DVDs. Oh and there's Serenity. But for me to write sci-fi is like asking me to spit up a hundred dollar bill. I just can't do it. And before I forget, pretty much anything in my massive DVD collection that came from the 70s, the 80s, and all the black and white movies too. I could go on, but I'll stop here. ;-)

Rene 4/03/2009 04:41:00 PM  

Umm...Jane Eyre is pretty tough to beat as the book I'd most want to write. It seems so perfect.

I love re-reading "Shanna" by Woodiwiss. More because it made me truly want to be a writer than the book itself.

spyscribbler 4/03/2009 05:09:00 PM  

Robin, I watched one episode of Bones and found it fascinating. I just sorta forgot about it, until you mentioned it!

spyscribbler 4/03/2009 05:10:00 PM  

Marcia, wow, you have no idea how cool it is to hear you say that! You know, people always say to write what you love to read, but I love to read spy stuff, and I have been struggling to write it for YEARS. I'm so skeptical of that advice, now!

spyscribbler 4/03/2009 05:15:00 PM  

Rene, I keep going back to Jane Eyre. I wish I could write a story just like that, starting with childhood and all the way to the happy-ever-after.

It's just perfect, like you said!

Alexander Field 4/05/2009 12:34:00 AM  

I have to agree with Eric on this one...if I'm reading a good book at the moment, there is a piece of me that is in awe, and another piece that is wishing I could write like that! For me, one of those movies is, surprisingly, Price & Prejudice, the new version. Amazing film. And Alias? Oh yeah. I think I wish I would have written something by Dave Eggers, What is the What, perhaps. Or the Firefly TV series from a couple years ago. Great question and post!

Melanie Avila 4/05/2009 07:12:00 PM  

I feel kind of guilty that I've never seen Jane Eyre in movie form. But I adore Alias and also have it on DVD (or, 4 seasons anyway) - which I'd forgotten until this post.

I've read two books in the past couple weeks that have both floored me by how much I loved them. First 1000 Splendid Suns (I think he's becoming my favorite author) and Water for Elephants (totally lives up to the hype). Part of me thinks my current wip is in the vein of Housseini, but I don't feel worthy of comparing myself to him.