Saturday, April 11, 2009

What Does It For You?

image I'm trying to take a vacation. I have two projects to finish that, if things go well today and tomorrow, I can finish and take a "real" vacation. And then Glenn comes home, and we're going to sleep in the car and drive until we hit sun.

The thought of doing without my blog buddies leaves me a little jittery. So I might break down.

But I'm curious: what part of story-telling came first for you? Was it the writing? The imagining? The story? The need to express through words? Which part compelled you?

image For me, I think I could easily leave off the writing bit, but I could never stop my mind from living in story worlds and weaving story lines.

Writing just gives me an excuse, a reason not to feel a bit crazy, LOL. :-)

And what triggers the "vacation feel" for you? When do you relax? When do you let the normal world fall off your shoulders? How do you escape?

36 bonus scribbles:

Charles Gramlich 4/11/2009 11:48:00 AM  

I was just talking to Lana about this yesterday. Imagination came first for me as a child. I always just riffed off whatever input I got and I spent many, many hours absorbed in my own imagination long before I started writing. when I did start writing a lot of my stories used elements from those earlier imaginative sessions.

Amy Sue Nathan 4/11/2009 12:52:00 PM  

I have high expectations of vacation - or time away from regular life. Perhaps it hampers me in a way...as I haven't had a real vacation in a long time. To me it's grown-ups only, no kids, 5 star accommodations and no budget. If I have to cook and make my bed it's not a vacation to me. I love vacations with my kids, but those are the kind you come home from needing a vacation from the vacation!

One of my dogs is at the vet this weekend, so the house is a tad quieter, and she's the early riser so I'm anticipating a sleep-in tomorrow. I appreciate it all, but it's not a vacation. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever have one again that lasts longer than 30 minutes.

writtenwyrdd 4/11/2009 12:55:00 PM  

The stories probably started as escapism when I was the painfully shy gradeschooler. But the neverending fun involved in world creation hooked me. Then I found I liked to write.

"For me, I think I could easily leave off the writing bit, but I could never stop my mind from living in story worlds and weaving story lines."

I mostly did that for twenty years. My imagination is far more fun than anything else in my world. (I'm only boring on the ouside.)

writtenwyrdd 4/11/2009 12:56:00 PM  

Oh, and enjoy your vacation. Glad hubs is coming home soon.

Edie 4/11/2009 01:11:00 PM  

"What came first" is a hard question. I think it's the need to express myself through writing. Fiction, in particular. I've done other kinds of writing -- greeting card verses and non-fiction. Neither satisfied me the way writing does.

I'm going on a 4-day writers conference in June, which will be my vacation for the year. I probably won't relax at all. I'll be talking to friends and having fun.

Melanie Avila 4/11/2009 01:29:00 PM  

Spy, that picture is what the beach I went to yesterday normally looks like. Very isolated.

I'm always telling stories in my head. Always. It was only in the past year or so that I remembered I liked to write them down.

Lisa 4/11/2009 02:56:00 PM  

Just the first draft then frame there it's too painful to continue. If you had an iPhone you wouldn't ever be seperated from your blog buddies!
That's what I'm writing from my iPhone!
Love it although I wished that all apps would automatically go to landscape mode.

Robin 4/11/2009 08:58:00 PM  

I'm so glad Glenn is coming home! That sounds like a very romantic idea for a vacation! Have a wonderful time!

I think about something I find amusing, and write. For my novel I have a basic idea, and I write and see where it takes me. It usually takes me to something I find amusing. I have a very simplistic mind.

G 4/12/2009 07:41:00 AM  

I got into writing very, very late in life.

For me, the idea always comes first. I find that doing an outline of it in my mind always helps me to figure out how to go about putting down on paper.

As for a vacation, congrats. I took my first real non-working vacation only last year. The previous one was back in 2002. My next real one will be a five day personal blast in late May.

Bevie 4/12/2009 08:53:00 AM  

Happy Easter, Spy. Hope you have a great day. Should be good with Glenn coming home.

Aimless Writer 4/12/2009 02:50:00 PM  

I was always the daydreamer. When asked why I didn't pay attention and always daydreamed I'd say because what's going on inside my head is more interesting than what you're doing.
After that the teacher told my mother I had a bad attitude...go figure.

Bevie 4/13/2009 06:17:00 AM  

I run the story back and forth through my imagination days, weeks, months, even years before writing a single word. When it's "cooked" long enough I open the oven door and it all pours out.

(This probably makes it sound like it pours out like a beautiful bundt cake or something. No. Pours out like a mess.)

Eric Mayer 4/13/2009 11:39:00 AM  

I was going to say I love making up stories, but I think it is even simpler. I like making stuff up. Always have. The best part of writing books is when Mary and I bat ideas around. The writing can sometimes be unpleasant in parts because the ideas which seem so cool when we think of them can't always be turned into words easily.

Aimless Writer 4/14/2009 04:25:00 PM  

How's the dh? When will he be home?

Dal Jeanis 4/14/2009 08:13:00 PM  

I think it all started from the urge to "fix things". When I read a story and it didn't work right, or the characters were stupid, I just wanted to write it the way it should have happened.

From there it proceeded to my own fanfiction (pre-Internet) then derivative writing then original stuff then good stuff. Hopefully the great stuff is beginning to dribble through-- two Honorable Mentions at Writers of the Future is getting tantalizingly close...

Caryn Caldwell 4/14/2009 09:22:00 PM  

It usually starts with a spark of something - an idea, a voice, an intriguing character trait, a piece of dialogue. Then it just begins to grow from there.

Leigh Russell 4/15/2009 04:38:00 PM  

I think going back to work is going to be a bit of a vacation for me, spy scribbler. Less than two months until my book comes out - sounds like a long time, I know, but I seem to have so much to do! Haven't seen you on my blog for a while, scribbler so came over to see how the scribbling's going.
I seem to start wtih an idea - always a "What if..." and everything else spins out from there.

spyscribbler 4/16/2009 12:06:00 PM  

Charles, me too. It was many, many years before I even thought of picking up a pen! And my most popular series has roots in my child imagination time, LOL. I wish I could go back and plant some more story seeds, LOL!

spyscribbler 4/16/2009 12:07:00 PM  

Amy, I've been on vacation for three days, and I've finally given up and asked Glenn to drop me at B&N so I can get some work done.

I really need a real vacation, but there's too much work to be done.

spyscribbler 4/16/2009 12:08:00 PM  

Me too, written! Except I think I did it for twenty-six or seven years!

I was shy, too. At some point, I was so shy, I was too embarrassed to act shy, LOL. That's the only reason I ever got out of it!

spyscribbler 4/16/2009 12:09:00 PM  

Oh Edie, that sounds wonderful! You're not going to the Lori Foster thing, are you? Susan Helene Gottfried is going, too! (Do you read her blog? I couldn't remember.)

spyscribbler 4/16/2009 12:10:00 PM  

Oh--sorry guys, the power just came on at B&N! I'm off to work... I'll reply more later. I'm sorry for my rudeness! Work calls!

Avery DeBow 4/16/2009 12:17:00 PM  

I think Charles and Writtenwyrrd summed up how my writing developed: escapism and riffing off of other work. After spending too much time reading and in dream worlds, I started narrating my own actions in my head. That's about when I figured I was either crazy or a writer. Now I know. It's both.

spyscribbler 4/18/2009 05:46:00 PM  

Melanie, a beach sounds lovely! Our vacation to Michigan was... unsatisfying.

I'm the same way as you, only until about 9 or so years ago, it never occurred to me to write them down!

spyscribbler 4/18/2009 05:47:00 PM  

Oooh, Lisa, you have an iPhone?! That is SO cool! I can't even imagine it. One of my students has an iTouch, and I have a blast playing with it!

spyscribbler 4/18/2009 05:47:00 PM  

Robin, I disagree: You have a highly developed sense and talent for comedy! LOL!

spyscribbler 4/18/2009 05:49:00 PM  

Oh G, I hope you have a great personal "week!" I'm scared of outlines, but I think they're cool. :-) I make SuperNotecard outline for me, AFTER I write, LOL!

spyscribbler 4/18/2009 05:49:00 PM  

Thank you, Bevie! I hope you had a great Easter, too!

spyscribbler 4/18/2009 05:50:00 PM  

HAH! Aimless, you are a woman after my own heart! I was so bad in first and second grade. Then, sadly, I learned teachers like you better if you pretend to be confused, and then allow them to see the lightbulb of understanding go on.

I wish I had been like you!

spyscribbler 4/18/2009 05:51:00 PM  

Bevie, do you know my favorite cake is that pudding cake, where you don't even mix it before you put it in the oven, and it comes out looking like a mess with pudding on the bottom? LOL!

I need my stuff to cook, too! :-)

spyscribbler 4/18/2009 05:53:00 PM  

Eric, that is so cool. Did you two marry and accidentally become writing partners, or were you guys both writers who then teamed up in more ways than one? (Was that a little personal, LOL?)

Sorry I'm so fascinated! I suspect I'd be a horrid writing partner, LOL!

spyscribbler 4/18/2009 05:53:00 PM  

Aimless, he's home! He came home Easter night. :-)

spyscribbler 4/18/2009 05:54:00 PM  

Dal Jeanis, that sounds very close! :-) I just saw a YouTube interview with Stephen King where he said you knew you were a writer when you read stuff and felt you could write better or fix it.

Fan fiction is cool.

spyscribbler 4/18/2009 05:55:00 PM  

Caryn, I like that: a spark! To be honest, I'll have to go back and read what starts it for me. I always forget!

spyscribbler 4/18/2009 05:56:00 PM  

Leigh, you must be so excited! I've been thinking about getting a day job for a couple years now. I have this fantasy of working in a bookstore, LOL! To me, it sounds refreshing and exciting!

Good luck with both! And I always read your blog! Every post! (I haven't been commenting around town much, lately.)

spyscribbler 4/18/2009 05:57:00 PM  

Avery, when I was young, I was seriously convinced I was crazy. I lived in these weird worlds, and no one else did! It never occurred to me that I was a writer, or that this was normal for a writer!