Sunday, May 03, 2009

Changes, Goals, Living, Thriving.

image Change is in the air. So many people are talking about change, that I googled astrology and discovered this prediction for May 2009. Basically, we’re all in for change, LOL.

Change has been a big part of my life, lately. There’s little things, like I recently noticed the days of not wearing makeup are not as kind as they once were. That I need to wear lipstick. That I need to dye my hair. That I need to put shine on my hair.

They’ve been emotional changes, too. Where my life used to be career- and goal-focused, I am now focused on living each day in a way that makes me thrive, that lets me be me.

Goals that, when I started this blog, meant a lot to me, now don’t inspire me in the least. I used to want to be published by New York. I worked every day so I could eventually attain that goal.

Now, I want to play piano every day, teach a few days a week, and write every day. And I’m not willing to spend days just surviving anymore. What’s living if you don’t position yourself and arrange your life so that you thrive?

image If New York will help feed me doing that, cool. But my daily life is my focus, my goal, my desire. Not some tangible sort of attainment thing. I’m having to come up with a new self-motivational system, you know?

I also work differently. I’m now a slow and steady sort of worker, and I have to plan my deadlines accordingly.

So what about you? Are your motivations changing? Have they changed? Your work process? How do you arrange your life so that you thrive instead of survive?

What changes are you expecting in May? In the coming year?

34 bonus scribbles:

sue 5/03/2009 05:24:00 PM  

"What’s living if you don’t position yourself and arrange your life so that you thrive?"

My feelings exactly!!

I'll be 73 in about six weeks and am (tentatively) planning to try to pick up an adjuct teaching spot this fall. I miss the students and have taught only one semester since Katrina.

I'm also going--bad hip and all--on a 10-day Danube cruise in the summer with a cyber-friend. I expect we'll both have a ball.

You go girl!

Leigh Russell 5/03/2009 05:39:00 PM  

Yes, spy scribbler, I can identify with all of this, from 'days of not wearing makeup not being as kind as they once were' to 'living each day in a way that lets me be me.' It's taken me a long time to know who I am, or perhaps I've (more or less) grown into the person I always wanted to be, only I didn't know it before. I hope that makes sense. You expressed it so much better.

I haven't seen you on my blog for a while, so thought I'd come over and see how you're doing. Keep in touch, and please check out my Virtual Book Launch. I hope you join in.

LaDonna 5/03/2009 06:49:00 PM  

Spy, this serendipity thing is something else! Change is definitely in the air. For me, I decided to live each day to the fullest too, and it's made my life richer. I want to thrive, not just exist. Time passes much too quickly for anything else. I want the time with my family, and my work to matter. For now, my goal is to write daily and wrap up my WIP. After the revisions, I'll decide where I want to send it. Sprinkled throughout my days, is time spent with loved ones. I keep it simple, and that works best for me. I follow my heart.

Edie 5/03/2009 07:51:00 PM  

My goal is still NY publication, and I'm not sure if I see that big a change this month. My daily life is good. We are redoing our upper bathroom this month, tearing it apart. That's a change -- and inconvenience. lol

We're planning a big change, but probably not for another 3 years.

Barbara Martin 5/03/2009 07:58:00 PM  

I tend to take change as it comes by adapting. Meditation assists in keeping me calm during episodes of crisis.

spyscribbler 5/03/2009 08:00:00 PM  

Sue, Happy Birthday! A little early. :-) It sounds like you teach in a college? That's cool.

Wow! The trip sounds wonderful!

spyscribbler 5/03/2009 08:01:00 PM  

Leigh, I always read your blog! I've really been feeling like I'm trying to find myself, and be myself. I'm having a bit of crisis, LOL.

Good luck and congratulations on the launch, Leigh!

Robin 5/03/2009 08:04:00 PM  

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I recently vowed to take less naps. I tend to jump into bed at the first opportunity to take a nap, and I could do all sorts of cool stuff during that time.

On Fridays I get out early at one job, so I rush home, jump into bed for a nap, and then go to my office for the afternoon. How wacky is that?

lainey bancroft 5/03/2009 08:09:00 PM  

Oh, Spy, you so nailed this for me.

Because of numerous things, I'm locked in total 'survive' mode right now, and don't know if I even remember how to thrive. :(

The goal remains the same--somewhat--publication. But with the pittance I've earned so far with e-books, I seriously wonder if it is time to hang the fiction up and find a 'per hour' job to fill my non-home based business hours time, because the time I've invested in writing is...a joke. Like, a total joke. And right now, I'm out of things to give up--haven't had a hair cut in ages, no new clothes, cheapest of EVERYTHING. All uphill, and I just don't feel like I'm gaining ground right now.

I want to write. I have to write. But I also have to sleep a night or two a week without constantly adding up expenses and wondering if I'll have electricity next week. So, yeah, right now I'm neither career or goal focused, but money focused. And I hate that.

(sorry. didn't mean to whine or rant. just a close-to-home subject the last few months.)

spyscribbler 5/03/2009 08:12:00 PM  

LaDonna, I love that! I mean, really... what's the point of living if you're not being what you were meant to be? I'm going to try and be like you: keep it simple.

I'm pretty good with it, except for the emotional part, LOL!

spyscribbler 5/03/2009 08:13:00 PM  

Edie, I would give to be you right now! I alternate between freaked-out and excited about the upcoming changes in my life, LOL.

Three years? I'm dying of curiosity!

spyscribbler 5/03/2009 08:15:00 PM  

Barbara, I mean to do more meditation. And more yoga. And more working out. I've been waking up and praying a whole lot, LOL!

spyscribbler 5/03/2009 08:17:00 PM  

Robin, I actually love naps. I treasure naps. I think the naps are almost the highlight of my week!

You know, there's a writer who takes a nap to get into a certain brain state, then writes. He takes like ten naps a day while writing. (I don't know.)

So you could just say you're working on your next book. ;-)

spyscribbler 5/03/2009 08:22:00 PM  

Lainey, I definitely feel for you. I do the same thing. I can't SLEEP when the finances are too tight. I just sit in bed and hyperventilate.

I don't know. It's going to be rough this summer, but... I'm seeing it as an opportunity to write, to plant seeds that will make my life be what I want it to be.

Or I hope. Or I could be deluding myself. Or psyching myself up so my panic won't be a complete melt-down, LOL.

Anyway, I relate, I do! *hugs*

Sarah Laurenson 5/03/2009 10:43:00 PM  

The only thing permanent is change.

Much as I used to despise change, now I look for ways to change my life to make it better.

Lisa 5/03/2009 11:17:00 PM  

I'm hoping May will be the month when my husband can start driving again! (He had surgery on his achilles and has a cast on his leg. He has me driving him to/from work) Short term goal.

I want to work on a java app for the a cat shelter's website -

Been doing lots of yard work - yard is shaping up.

G 5/04/2009 06:07:00 AM  

Well, for the most part, I plan on doing the submission process with even less frequency that I'm doing now.

I'll probably have one last hurrah when I get my laptop up and running again (it really does stink that they're building new computers without floppy drives).

So my main new goal is to be the best non-commercially published (self published) writer out there, or the best unpublished writer out there, or quite possibly, both.

Melanie Avila 5/04/2009 10:26:00 AM  

I don't use this word lightly, but I am PRAYING that there is change in May. Man I need to get the F out of here.

My motivations have done a complete 180 in the past couple years. At the beginning of '07 I'd never even considered writing a novel (well, never seriously anyway) and now I hope to get published. I'm doing web design, I hope to have my own business... all big changes for me.

Lauren 5/04/2009 11:08:00 AM  

I am a super big believer in goal setting. I think it was Alice in Wonderland when she was asked where she was going and she didn't know so the little guy said "If you don't know then how will you know when you get there?"

But goals shift and that's okay too. The important thing is recognizing that and shifting efforts to align with it, like what you have done!

Life is the journey, not the destination. :)

Charles Gramlich 5/04/2009 01:14:00 PM  

The ONE safe prediction is change.

Virginia Lady 5/04/2009 03:26:00 PM  

I'm in the midst of a lot of change as well, Spy. I'm still trying to rework my schedule so that I get to read all my blogs and write and still get everything else done. Life can be funny at times. Challenging and full of change. This is a good thing, right? :-)

Eric Mayer 5/04/2009 08:41:00 PM  

I have definitely been trying to do more things for my own enjoyment and less merely to achive goals, which maybe aren't even all that important, were I to be honest.

I have thus far succeeded in reading a lot more this year. Now I am working on trying to write for its own sake, without fretting about publication, or letting what publishers want interfere with me writing what I want and enjoying it like I used to.

Liz Kreger 5/06/2009 05:08:00 PM  

I've still got goals to be published by NY, but I'm willing to explore other avenues at the same time. With the rise of e-publication, I have absolutely no problem with that route.

I also find that I too am slower and steadier when it comes to my writing. I'll never win races, but I'd rather put out a good product than something that looks rushed.

Good subject matter, Spy.

Avery DeBow 5/08/2009 11:08:00 AM  

The end of the month brings me officially closer to forty than thirty, but I find I'm okay with that. My motivations used to be about money, and life was tough. Now, the motivations have shifted to contentment, and while the money still isn't there, I find I'm much happier. I've learned I'll probably never be rich, and I'm okay with that. The universe gave me a free vacuum and a hundred bucks last weekend, so I guess I must be on the right track.

spyscribbler 5/10/2009 10:45:00 AM  

Very true, Sarah. I'm sort of strange about change. Like, I always have to drive the same route home, but yet, I'll completely change huge things at a moment's notice, LOL.

spyscribbler 5/10/2009 10:49:00 AM  

Lisa, you can do java apps? That's one of those things that just amazes me!

I hope your husband gets better soon! (Or is better, by now!)

spyscribbler 5/10/2009 11:10:00 AM  

G, I know! Saving to a CD doesn't work quite as well. There's flash drives, but again... You might want to check out Dropbox. It automatically backs up everything online so you never have to think of it.

I think that's a cool goal, G!

spyscribbler 5/10/2009 11:14:00 AM  

Melanie, I hardly ever use the word at all, and I'm praying you get change in May!

Wow, when you look it all like that, Mexico was a great impetus for change. Look at all that! Those are huge, wonderful things. I need to make such big changes.

spyscribbler 5/10/2009 11:15:00 AM  

Lauren, Alice in Wonderland was so smart, that I think I need to go back and re-read. There are so many gems in that story!

Good reminder about the journey. It's kind of exciting.

spyscribbler 5/10/2009 11:27:00 AM  

Virginia, I'm having trouble doing all the blogging I want to do, too! It's driving me crazy!

spyscribbler 5/10/2009 11:30:00 AM  

Eric, that's exactly where I'm at. I want to enjoy my day-to-day life. For me, getting published is a means to the end of enjoying my day-to-day life, LOL.

But making writing more play and less a draining to-do is definitely high on my priority list. And reading more!

spyscribbler 5/10/2009 11:37:00 AM  

Liz, I'm definitely slow and steady. And I'm like you: why would I care where I get published? It's just nice to get paid and connect with readers, LOL.

spyscribbler 5/10/2009 11:38:00 AM  

Avery, that's wonderful! I've been feeling the money pressures in the last couple years, too. I'm at the point where I just want to do the best I can and enjoy my day-to-day life. Because, really, that's all I've got!