Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Just So You Know…

image I’m as fond of made-up words as the next person, but there are some words that Just. Don’t. Work. They’re just not meant to be together.

So Glenn and I pull up to the Arby’s drive-through, and I tell him to order himself a roast burger.

”What’s a roastburger?”

”It looks good,” I lie; I just want to know what the heck a roastburger is and the pics weren’t helping.

He spies some white-looking stuff in the picture.

”What comes on that?”

The guy explains, “Mustard, Ketchup, and Three-Herb Mayonnaise that’s grilled on.”

Glenn shakes his head at the speaker. “I don’t want any mayonnaise.”

”Okay,” the speaker says. “Just so you know, it’s called ‘grillaise.’”

As I snicker uncontrollably at ‘grillaise,’ Glenn stares at the speaker, completely uncomprehending. “What’s that? No mayonnaise, right?”

When we pull away, he mutters, “I don’t like mayonnaise in the first place. I certainly don’t want it after it’s grilled.”

12 bonus scribbles:

Edie Ramer 5/20/2009 10:46:00 PM  

Thanks for the laugh. I've never heard of that either -- and hope I never do again.

Charles Gramlich 5/21/2009 12:12:00 AM  

Now I'm getting hungry. That looks delic.

Michele 5/21/2009 01:05:00 AM  

Ha! I've seen the commercial for that and have scratched my head at how it isn't just another roast beef sandwich (a burger, really?)... now I'm cracking up about the grillaise.

By the way, I make up words all the time, but it's usually not on purpose. :)

Susan Helene Gottfried 5/21/2009 08:00:00 AM  

You know, Mitchell loves anything grilled. He's even tried to grill a pan of brownies.

But mayo?

Even he draws the line there.

Good move, Glenn.

Lauren 5/21/2009 08:31:00 AM  

wow...that sounds...special...

I love Arby's...why would they go and be so silly. Usually when my hubby and I see something like that we just look at each other and say "I guess we aren't the target demographic on that one." :) Definitely not on this one either :-P

But I love mayo so I might have to try it despite their odd naming choices.

Melanie Avila 5/21/2009 10:03:00 AM  

I love Arby's. Man that sounds good right now. And I'd totally get it with the grillaise.

Glenn's final comment is awesome. :P

Eric Mayer 5/21/2009 10:05:00 AM  

Grilled mayo is just so *wrong*!

Lisa 5/21/2009 04:27:00 PM  

so was the burger good?

With obesity at its all time high - that sandwhich combo doesn't sound very healthy!

Travis Erwin 5/21/2009 04:45:00 PM  

I'm with your husband. I too mentioned words that should not be used together, but mine was actually one word used in tandem.

lainey bancroft 5/21/2009 06:27:00 PM  

I do like mayo. Grilling it? Nah, so not workin' for me. :-P

Grillaise? Even yuckier than the thought of eating grilled mayonnaise.

Robin 5/21/2009 08:57:00 PM  

That's hilarious! Grillais? That is so over-the-top silly! And the guy made sure to tell Glen the stupid name. He could have hidden it so easily, but he was proud of his grillaise.

spyscribbler 5/22/2009 08:36:00 AM  

Me too, Edie! LOL!

Charles, come to think of it, I'm hungry, too!

I know, Michele! I couldn't figure it out at all! It's not a burger. It's just a regular roast beef sandwich with the addition of lettuce and tomato. Very silly. LOL!

Grilled brownies? Wow, Susan! Although I like cake cooked over an open fire...

Lauren, that's funny! I'm definitely not the target demographic on that one, LOL!

Of all the fast food places, Arbys is my favorite, too, Melanie. But the thought of that meat? Ick. Glenn has stuffed me with enough meat for my lifetime. *shudder*

Eric, I couldn't agree more!

Lisa, I didn't try it. I just wanted to see what it was, so I made Glenn order it, LOL. :-)

LOL, Travis! You are MUCH better at combining words!

Seriously, Lainey! As a word, it's just.... ick!

Robin, he was SO proud of his grillaise! And I was laughing so hard, I couldn't get out what I wanted!