Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Love and Laptop Stickers

image I decorate my laptop with stickers and things that remind me how I want to live my life. (Want – I fail more often than not, I’m sure.)

On the little edge above the screen, I have LOVE on each side of the webcam. I also have a sticker that says, “Live, love, laugh, and be happy!” (With the exclamation point.)

I also have three stickers around the keyboard, where the speakers are: “Sing your own song in your own special way.” “Keep growing, keep dreaming.” “Dance to your own special music.

And finally, in big words around my mousepad, I have my favorite quote: “May the beauty we love be what we do.” The rest wouldn’t fit, but it’s the whole point, for me: “There are a hundred ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” ~Rumi

I’m struggling with writing something, and I recalled that I generally can’t write unless I can find the love. I have to connect with love, whether of character, the story, or the readers, in order to open the gates of writing.

Funny enough, I consider myself a very practical person. I don’t put much stock in woo-woo stuff. With business, I tend to distance myself from emotions.

image But at the end (beginning, actually) of the day, writing is all about love for me. My husband and best friend both describe me as “passionate,” which I’m pretty sure is their generous way of saying “emotional.” (They’d be right.)

When a book on philosophy mentioned that we all live by a philosophy of life, whether we’re aware of it or not, it asked us to finish the sentence: “Living is _______.

My mind immediately said, “Living is feeling.” Then it added, “Living is loving.”

It sort of cracks me up how my self-perception (as a practical person) can be so unsupported by my, um, laptop stickers. And my thinking. And reality, LOL.

What about you? How would you finish the sentence, “Living is ________.” And are you aware of any self-perceptions you have that fly into the face of all obvious evidence? Any self-perceptions that may possibly even be wrong, LOL? Or opposite to how others perceive you?

25 bonus scribbles:

Lisa 5/12/2009 03:45:00 PM  

Interesting, my blog today is 'Happiness is' .

"Living is giving to ____" where the blank can be filled in with: others (friends, family, strangers), cats, earth.
I do seem to be my happiness when, I'm in some way, giving back. When I do things that are too 'me centric' I get rather down.

Lisa 5/12/2009 03:48:00 PM  

Oh I forgot, I like the idea of putting stickers on your laptop - NOW I have some use for all those kitty stickers that I have. (I don't send enough snail mail to use them up - well, unless I send them on my bills - ha!)

Eric Mayer,  5/12/2009 03:51:00 PM  

What's next to my monitor right now? A can of Flying Insect Killer! What does that say about me?

Hey, a great song about love is the one on John Lennon's first solo album.

Edie 5/12/2009 04:46:00 PM  

Living is creating. Learning. Loving. Being.

LOL I think it would depend on my mood.

I think of you as emotional. In a very good way.

Janna Qualman 5/12/2009 05:28:00 PM  

I think those are just the kinds of stickers I'd have. ;)

Heather Dearly 5/12/2009 05:48:00 PM  

Living is NOW, not something to be put off until tomorrow, not something waiting for a plan. NOW is the plan.

Marcia Colette 5/12/2009 06:09:00 PM  

"Living is life" for me. I believe in enjoying your life to the fullest instead of letting the small stuff weigh you down.

Robin 5/12/2009 10:12:00 PM  

I'd have to say "Living is Loving", too. Whether it be family, friends, patients, the mailman, the dry cleaner, or the really hot guy who plays Patrick Swayze's partner on "The Beast".

Melanie Avila 5/12/2009 10:24:00 PM  

Spy, this is the second time today I've seen you say "woo-woo." Just thought I'd point that out.

For me, living is... "worthwhile" was the first thing that came to mind, then "hard." But even if it's hard I still think it's worthwhile.

It bothers me when people say I'm overly sensitive. I honestly don't think that I am, but it's clearly coming from something that I do. I tend to overanalyze but it's not from a feelings level, I just like to look at things from all angles and really understand it.

Pink Ink 5/13/2009 09:37:00 AM  

I love your sayings!

Mine would be "Living is grand!" Because it is!

Merry Monteleone 5/13/2009 11:43:00 AM  

Hi Spy,

Gosh, I don't know how I'd finish that sentence - I think it changes depending on what's going on.

There have been many points in my life where it would be "Living is hard, or exhausting" but most of the time, I think it would be "Living is learning or growing"

Love I think is a gimme.

Passionate is a nice way to say emotional... when my husband type person thinks I'm emotional, he just calls me nuts :-)

Merry Monteleone 5/13/2009 11:44:00 AM  

Oh, I responded to your comment at my place - I was a bit behind, as usual.

spyscribbler 5/13/2009 12:02:00 PM  

Lisa, I saw that! I loved that post. I don't know why I didn't comment the first time around, LOL.

I agree, Lisa. Sometimes I crawl into my head so much I make myself miserable!

Oh yes! Kitty stickers are great for decorating laptops!

spyscribbler 5/13/2009 12:03:00 PM  

It says you're smart and prepared, Eric! LOL! I hope number three hasn't shown up!

spyscribbler 5/13/2009 12:04:00 PM  

Creating! Oh Edie, when I first did, that mentally thought: "I want to live by living is creating rather than living is feeling." I love that one!

You have a knack for making me feel okay about my faults, LOL. :-)

spyscribbler 5/13/2009 02:05:00 PM  

They're great stickers, Janna!

spyscribbler 5/13/2009 02:06:00 PM  

Heather, see? I told you that you were my Zen guru! ;-) I'm trying to learn that lesson now.

spyscribbler 5/13/2009 02:08:00 PM  

Marcia, there's something I really need to learn! Letting things roll off my back is something I definitely need to learn!

spyscribbler 5/13/2009 02:10:00 PM  

Robin, I haven't seen that show! I adore Patrick Swayze, though. He's still looking good to me. :-) Do I need to add that to my list?

spyscribbler 5/13/2009 02:12:00 PM  

LOL, Melanie! On one hand, to be misinterpreted is amusing; on the other, annoying, LOL! Worthwhile and hard. I sure can agree with that!

I keep hoping for easy and rewarding, though!

spyscribbler 5/13/2009 02:12:00 PM  

Erica, you are SO lucky!

spyscribbler 5/13/2009 02:13:00 PM  

Jewel, that's funny, because I think your life is grand, LOL!

spyscribbler 5/13/2009 02:16:00 PM  

LOL, Merry! Mine says "crazy." In the past, boyfriends affectionately called me "crazy girl." I'm not sure what they call me when we broke up.

Funny, when life is hard, I keep telling myself that I'm growing, LOL. :-)

PS: Goodness, I sometimes take forever to respond to comments. I always mean to first go to all my blog-friend's blogs, then respond to comments, but then I get way behind. No need to worry! LOL!

PPS: Yesterday, I just responded to a comment I hadn't seen from two years ago!

Laptop Decals 1/04/2013 05:54:00 AM  

Stickers make the laptop more attractive and also protect it from blemishes.