Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Running Out of Time

image You know what I hate? What I’m really uncomfortable with when it comes to writing?

It takes time to think.

It takes time to think about life, about philosophy, about what I believe, about what fascinates me. It takes time to wander around Borders and see what catches my fancy, to click around the internet chasing yet another fascination. It takes time to be curious.

It takes time to read, to watch movies, to watch TV shows, to absorb story.

It takes time to let all of that input simmer together. It takes time to put a lid on it, leave it, and go out to the woods and just breathe. It takes time to block out everything but you, your own thoughts, your own center.

The 500 words, the 1,000 words, the 100 words may only take an hour to write, but they’re just the tip of the iceberg. And there’s no point in writing if there’s no you, if you don’t bring what is distinctly--and only—you, to the page.

My greatest frustration is that I’m always itching to write, and my brain is constantly bleeping: Need more input.

And there’s this niggling voice going: You’re running out of time.

Ever feel like that?

Just for fun (and to explain the pic above), here’s a three-minute video on success:

20 bonus scribbles:

Charles Gramlich 5/26/2009 03:06:00 AM  

yes, I felt like that very much today.

Edie Ramer 5/26/2009 08:41:00 AM  

Thanks for sharing the video. I needed something like that today. Yes, it takes me time. So many of my friends jump into one book after another, but I'm a slower starter. Right now I'm researching for my next book as I'm writing the synopsis for my last. I hope I'll have the plot for my next one when I finish.

As I was writing that, I got another idea that might be better!

Kath Calarco 5/26/2009 09:12:00 AM  

Love the "C.R.A.P." So true! As artists who hope that one day our work will be recognized, we have to put up with a lot of C.R.A.P., and some days it's just a lot of A's. :)

Thanks for sharing this, Spy. Loved it!

Aimless Writer 5/26/2009 09:20:00 AM  

I always hated the fact that we HAVE TO sleep. Look what we could do with all that time!

Melanie Avila 5/26/2009 10:14:00 AM  

I love this:

my brain is constantly bleeping: Need more input.I'm used to pondering things from my time in advertising -- sometimes you have to just sit and stare at a wall before the right answer comes to you (that was always interesting with five of us in the room -- probably looked odd to anyone else).

I hadn't thought of running out of time, but thanks for putting that in my head. :P

Eric Mayer 5/26/2009 11:36:00 AM  

Indeed, there's more to it than just the time spent writing.

My dad sold watercolors. Usually, because of the nature of the medium, watercolors have to be painted fast, but you need skills and a plan. Customers tended to think in terms of paying for labor and getting their money's worth, so they'd ask "How long did it take you to paint that?" My dad had a stock reply - "Two hours to paint this picture and thirty years to learn how."

Robin 5/26/2009 11:42:00 AM  

Oh, man, I am always freaking out about not having time to write. Then I waste time doing stupid stuff like napping. It drives me buggy.

Pink Ink 5/26/2009 04:11:00 PM  

Yes, I know exactly what you mean!! Why do we put ourselves on deadline??

Suzanne Casamento 5/26/2009 07:28:00 PM  

I always feel like I'm running out time. It's really frustrating. Especially when I'm trying to write. It creates more pressure - like there isn't already enough! ; )

lainey bancroft 5/27/2009 08:27:00 AM  

Thanks for the video. Think I'll just make the time to stay here all day to watch and read the chart until it's all drilled into my thick skull.

I've had all the elements at one time or another, but never all together at the same time. I have a hard time keeping all those balls rolling, and right now I've lost ALL my balls. :0

spyscribbler 5/27/2009 01:56:00 PM  

Charles, I've been feeling like that every day!

spyscribbler 5/27/2009 02:14:00 PM  

Edie, I needed that video, today, too, LOL! I've been slow, lately, and needing more down time to let things simmer. It's been a process for me not to feel guilty or lazy, LOL.

Good luck on the next one!

spyscribbler 5/27/2009 02:15:00 PM  

Kath, that "CRAP" was SO clever, LOL! I love it!

spyscribbler 5/27/2009 02:15:00 PM  

Amen to that, Aimless! I just did a status saying that the other night. I agree completely!

spyscribbler 5/27/2009 02:17:00 PM  

Melanie, always glad to add to someone's neuroses! :-) It's true: we need time to let things roll around in our mind!

spyscribbler 5/27/2009 02:19:00 PM  

Eric, that's a fantastic story! It's so true. There's no escaping the need for that experience, and someone has to pay for it!

spyscribbler 5/27/2009 02:20:00 PM  

Awww, Robin! But you work so hard! You need time to nap! I miss naps. They sure are one of the joys of life.

spyscribbler 5/27/2009 02:20:00 PM  

Oh Jewel. Well, usually it's someone else's deadline, but same thing. They're stressing me out, for sure!

spyscribbler 5/27/2009 02:21:00 PM  

Amen to that, Susan! There's already enough pressure, and then we create more for ourselves!

spyscribbler 5/27/2009 02:23:00 PM  

Lainey, I could've written your comment! I feel precisely the same way. Exactly.

It sounds so simple, LOL... but it's not!