Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Stuff. Breathing, Editing, Voicing.

image I like to journal privately, but I kinda like to type in something sorta pretty. I know. It’s silly. Penzu is a lovely place to have a private diary just for you and no one else. It even has a double-locking feature if you’re particularly paranoid about keeping your mental craziness private.

I set it as one of my homepages and spill out gunk every morning, sorta like morning pages.

image
I’ve also been addicted to Instant Boss. Working on a computer makes the internet a bit of a distraction. It’s the tiniest little app, and yet it allows you to work in spurts and reward yourself with a break. There’s a little alarm when it’s time to take a break, and a little voice says, “Aw, man!” when it’s time to get back to work.

You can adjust the work minutes and break minutes to whatever suits you.

image Whenever I go to Borders and wander the stacks, I can’t help but think, “Oh! I want to teach my child that! Then that! Then that!” And yet, the possibility of children feels like it’s slipping away every day. Patience, hope, and trust, I guess.

I’m managing asthma much better now. I’m pretty proud of myself. I’d learned how to manage an attack, but I didn’t understand the daily life bit, until falling asleep every hour forced me to figure out what the heck was going on. My attention span has improved DRASTICALLY since I started making sure my brain gets enough oxygen. Go figure.

                                     *****

image I’m not at all pleased with the novella I’m writing now. My one little pub is so busy, I usually just get an “I like it” unless I beg. I suppose I’d rather have the higher pay than an editor, at this point, but my attention is so distracted by the studio and teaching and writing a non-fiction essay, that I feel this novella is not my best work.

I also tried a lyrical voice with it. I’m not sure why. I’m constantly writing stuff that demands a lyrical sort of voice, and yet I feel my strength lies more in the short and snappy and rhythmic.

I rarely write that way. Maybe it’s so different it makes me uncomfortable. Or maybe it’s better suited to genres I don’t actually write. I tend to think of it as my spy thriller voice, but if we were all holding our breath for that one, we’d all be dead. ;-)

What little apps do you use to make your life easier? How do you manage your attention span when there’s so much waiting to distract you? Thoughts on voice?

23 bonus scribbles:

Lisa 5/13/2009 05:18:00 PM  

gosh, I'm not brave enough to post my personal thoughts online.

Glad you sorted out your meds, yes, I guess the oxygen thing is pretty important! (food and drink is also important- fuel!)

G 5/13/2009 05:27:00 PM  

Thoughts on voice.....I try to write like I talk, or at the very least, write like I think.

I also enjoy writed in the first and second p.o.v. too.

Edie Ramer 5/13/2009 07:13:00 PM  

Glad you're taking care of yourself. Oxygen is very important. Every once in a while, I tell myself I'm going to do deep breathing exercises. I do it for a day and then forget.

Attention span -- don't manage it very well. Tomorrow I'll finally get to my revisions, which I'd planned to start Monday. Too many other things had to be done.

writtenwyrdd 5/13/2009 07:21:00 PM  

I think I have to try instant boss. I can't ignore that wireless internet when I'm at home, and I'm too lazy to go anywhere out of range (that and the battery is down to a half hour's charge.)

writtenwyrdd 5/13/2009 07:22:00 PM  

Not sure I'd trust an online diary. It can be hacked probably more easily than your credit info and that's not all that safe these days either.

Robin 5/13/2009 07:46:00 PM  

Instant Boss cracks me up! If only my mom had been born 20 years later. She could have marketed herself out as a cyber nudge. Hey! We all have our strengths.

Anissa 5/13/2009 08:35:00 PM  

I've had a lot of thoughts on voice lately. Not a lot of answers though. This revision/rewrite it kicking my butt all around. But I do know that the voice needs work. Girlfriend just hasn't quite figured herself out yet.

Yay on the asthma!

Eric Mayer 5/13/2009 10:22:00 PM  

I have a KeyNote organizer, which isn't even developed any longer, in which I note endless stuff, which gives me the idea that I have some organization in my life, or that I have a life.

Melanie Avila 5/14/2009 09:57:00 AM  

LOL, a cyber nudge. I love it.

I don't use any tools, but I probably should. Once I get into the cycle of facebook, scrabble, and AW, I keep wanting to check one last time before digging into my wip. I guess my OCD comes through there. :)

I'm glad you figured out how to breathe again. I was getting a little worried about you.

Lauren 5/14/2009 10:52:00 AM  

See I wish I could think of an app like that to write to make life easier. Oh, maybe I have thought of my first blog give away :)

I am going to look at that virtual boss thing. I am so bad about becoming distracted.

sex scenes at starbucks 5/15/2009 12:29:00 AM  

my goal with my voice is to have it unnoticeable so that it never gets in the way of the story.

not so on my blog--but that's where I indulge myself.

Avery DeBow 5/15/2009 12:54:00 PM  

Melanie and I are twins separated at birth, it seems. I have the OCD, "one last time" issue, too.

My voice is schitzo. I tend to go on with long sentences in my prose, then suddenly pop in a few single-word paragraphs and some rapid-fire lines of terse dialogue.

spyscribbler 5/16/2009 05:05:00 AM  

Lisa, I don't blame you! This place lets me double password stuff, so I feel pretty secure, but you're right.

PS: I've been meaning to tell you for weeks that I love the new profile pic!

spyscribbler 5/16/2009 05:06:00 AM  

G, I love second POV. I've never written in it, but I love to read it. I wish it weren't so... against "their" rules.

spyscribbler 5/16/2009 05:07:00 AM  

Edie, I'm afraid it lasted a day, LOL. But tomorrow I'll get back to it.

Yay for revisions! I bet you're knee-deep in them by now, LOL!

spyscribbler 5/16/2009 05:08:00 AM  

Written, my output has gone down since I can connect to the internet. I need to learn how to slide that wireless button to "off"! I really do!

spyscribbler 5/16/2009 05:08:00 AM  

LOL, Robin! I sure could use a cyber nudge! Is she as funny as you? I'd pay top dollar!

spyscribbler 5/16/2009 05:09:00 AM  

Anissa, I get that. Writing has been kicking my butt lately, all around. I don't know what's happened to me lately. I'm hoping it was the oxygen thing, LOL.

spyscribbler 5/16/2009 05:10:00 AM  

Eric, you mean the software program? I googled that. It looks neat!

spyscribbler 5/16/2009 05:10:00 AM  

Melanie, I'm about ready to turn my internet off for a month! But then I'd NEVER earn Ibis's friendship!

spyscribbler 5/16/2009 05:11:00 AM  

Lauren, you can build stuff like that? Wow, that is SO cool! I'd rather use yours than Instant Boss. :-)

spyscribbler 5/16/2009 05:13:00 AM  

SS@S, I've gone in the opposite direction, lately. I "believe in" your way more. So I don't know why I'm going where I'm going, LOL. *sigh*

spyscribbler 5/16/2009 05:14:00 AM  

Avery, we can be triplets, LOL!

Hey, that sounds very rhythmic. Rhythmic is cool, LOL. I've been playing with my voice, lately, and the results are a bit embarrassing.