Thursday, May 21, 2009

What’s Up For Your Summer?

imageRight now, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Although, it’s very odd. First, I can’t WAIT until Saturday night, because, for the first time in FIVE MONTHS, I will be ALL CAUGHT UP.

Wow.

And second, I can’t wait until Sunday, because I get to see my best friend and my very darling niece, who I have the hugest baby-crush on. Even though she’s no longer a baby. But I think she’s the coolest girl on the whole planet even though, at this point, I hardly know her yet. It must be some weird ingrained thing, but then my best friend is the best friend a girl could have on the whole planet, so it naturally follows that her daughter would be the coolest girl.

BUT, Glenn leaves. On Saturday. So it’s very odd, because I DON’T want Saturday to come. So half of me is dragging my heels, and the other half can’t wait. If only I could have Sunday and few more days after that before Saturday came.

I’m not really making sense, am I?

Anyway. It’s late.

I’m mostly looking forward to writing slowly. To tweaking. To having the time to go over and over my work and make it do exactly what I want. To play with plotting and play with putting a story together. To finishing up a couple projects that aren’t done yet, to writing three very cool shiny new ideas I can’t wait to write. Ooh! And I promised you guys a story, but I think I’m going to give you a darling I have to cut from one of my shiny new ideas. I think it’s the first darling I’ve ever had, because I typically don’t like what doesn’t work, so it’s not technically a darling.

image I’ve also been playing piano up a storm. My students inspired me. :-) And my schedule for the summer is looking nice, so I’m going to have time to play a lot, do something special for the kids, and write.

I think it’s going to be a totally awesome summer. (Yes, I am totally putting out of my mind the fact that Glenn won’t be here. Putting out of my mind that we are going to only talk for ten or twenty minutes a week. *sigh*)

What about you? How’s your summer shaping up? Got any plans? Writing time? Creative time? Play time? You time?

26 bonus scribbles:

Robin 5/22/2009 08:28:00 AM  

That does sound like a great summer, minus the absence of Glen.

I'm working all summer, but have 2 weeks off. One for visiting my family in Boston with the boys, and one for going to the beach with the boys and 2 of their friends. I can't wait!!!

spyscribbler 5/22/2009 08:31:00 AM  

Oooh, 2 weeks off sounds awesome, Robin! And I've always wanted to go to Boston. And, believe it or not, I haven't been to the beach in over twenty years!

Your summer sounds awesome!

Melanie Avila 5/22/2009 09:34:00 AM  

Spy, it's so nice to hear you sounding more upbeat. I know the stress of the parents was really weighing on you, and it seems like it's gone. :)

Your summer sounds lovely. I'm dreading summer because I don't know how long we'll still be here and it's already too hot for me. I was able to get some work done yesterday, but I have a hard time being creative when I'm so overheated.

I hope you have fun Sunday, and that Saturday isn't too hard. I like having things to look forward to to get me through the rough spots.

Charles Gramlich 5/22/2009 12:19:00 PM  

I've been writing like a mad dog and enjoying every minute of it.

Robin B. 5/22/2009 01:26:00 PM  

I'm looking forward to lots of lazy days with my kids. We love to go to the beach, the movies, and generally just hang out. (No homework! Yay!) But the best part of *this* summer is the dh and I are celebrating our 20 year anniversary in August so we're going to Kaui for a week. I'm SO excited!

Have a wonderful weekend! I'm sorry Glen won't be around this summer, but it sounds like you've got some great plans! Take care!

Edie Ramer 5/22/2009 04:35:00 PM  

I finally got into your blog! Yay!!!

Except for Glenn being gone, it sounds like a fabulous summer! I'm nearly done with my revisions, and I'll soon send them off to my CP. I'm tempted to give it another read-through, but I have to let it go. I know I'll find a lot to tweak on my next go-round, even with my CPs' critiques.

And I'm really looking forward to WisRWA's Green Bay conference in two weeks. We're already making plans for dinner the first night. After that's over, I'm not sure what will happen.

Eric Mayer,  5/22/2009 04:46:00 PM  

We just got back the MS for our book needing the usual few revisions and I have a legal article with a tight deadline the third week of June, so maybe sumer will start after that. But having too much work is better than having none!

G 5/22/2009 07:38:00 PM  

Writing.

I'm on a roll with my writing, either by writing new flash fiction (about two to three a week. gotta keep that other blog of mine well fed) or tweaking a longer short story that I will self-publish this year.

LaDonna 5/23/2009 02:05:00 PM  

Hey Spy, hug on Glenn being gone. I know how difficult that is through my daughter's eyes. My SIL will be home early July, if another war doesn't break out.

And your summer sounds awesome! I love that you have a baby crush on your best friend's girl. Kids are the best!

We'll be spending a week in FL soon, and I plan on finishing my WIP and working on revisions throughout the summer. No time limit, just me and the story.

Erica Orloff 5/23/2009 08:30:00 PM  

Summer is my time to enjoy my four babies. We sleep in, play Scrabble until the wee hours. I write . . . I adore summer for my precious time with them (though I hate the heat and prefer winter).

E

spyscribbler 5/23/2009 08:45:00 PM  

Melanie, I was kinda hoping you would be leaving before summer. :-( Hey! Maybe you can write in the kiddie pool! LOL! He hasn't gotten it yet, huh?

spyscribbler 5/23/2009 08:46:00 PM  

Charles, that's going to be my summer. I can't wait!

spyscribbler 5/23/2009 08:47:00 PM  

Robin, Kaui??? Wow, that sounds beautiful and awesome! Your summer sounds fantastic, too. No homework! I remember how fun that was!

spyscribbler 5/23/2009 08:49:00 PM  

Oh how nice, Edie! I wish I could be in your RWA group! I'm going to come up one of these months to one of your cool conferences. :-)

Thanks for not giving up on my blog, LOL!

spyscribbler 5/23/2009 08:51:00 PM  

Eric, how true! I've been trying to convince myself of the opposite, LOL, since I have nothing pressing at the moment, but I secretly believe you're right. I'm thinking of this summer as planting seeds. Hopefully they'll grow up to be money trees. :-)

spyscribbler 5/23/2009 08:51:00 PM  

That rocks, G! I'm writing up a storm, too. It's fun. :-)

Good luck on your short! I am so out of practice with them, that I need to write some more.

spyscribbler 5/23/2009 08:53:00 PM  

LaDonna, I'll pray she gets home soon and safe! Florida sounds awesome. Beach or Disney? I'm dying to go to Disneyworld; I have no idea why.

No time limit sounds like heaven!

spyscribbler 5/23/2009 08:56:00 PM  

Erica, that sounds like absolute heaven! Like Melanie, I don't write well in heat, but I love rain and thunderstorms for writing. :-) I miss the snow, too!

Aerin 5/23/2009 09:08:00 PM  

Anyone who just found a new reason to be envious of Erica, raise your hand.


Me!

Kath Calarco 5/24/2009 05:07:00 PM  

Spy, hugs for when Glen leaves. Otherwise, sounds like you have a nice summer unfolding. Very cool.

We just bought a new house so that's how my summer will go. Moving. Exciting yet manic. But, we're moving a mere block away (seriously), so at least I won't be assimilating into a shiny new town. I'm just stuck in the dull old one. :)

Marcia Colette 5/25/2009 03:22:00 PM  

I'm trying to set up some nesting time over the summer. So far, the only nesting I've been wanting to do is put the dishes in the dishwaster and laundry. My poor baby will end up sleeping on the couch, if I don't get my butt in gear and convert my office into a nursery. *sigh*

spyscribbler 5/26/2009 01:49:00 AM  

Aerin, Melanie, I'm raising my hand, too!

spyscribbler 5/26/2009 01:52:00 AM  

Kath, a new house sounds so cool! I'm saving up for a new house, of sorts, and I can't wait! Good luck with the shiny new house! :-)

spyscribbler 5/26/2009 01:54:00 AM  

Marcia, I am SO excited for you! Good luck with the nesting! And please share every detail!

writtenwyrdd 5/26/2009 10:10:00 AM  

I have far fewer days off in summer than in winter and ten times the house projects and yard projects, so I can't get a day to goof off much less a day to hide out and write.

This summer, I do have 2 weeks in July, wherein I must paint the entire kitchen including cabinets, wainscoting and whatnot, and sand and seal the concrete in the basement. Both of these are dirty, time consuming and fiddly projects I do not look forward to.

Then there are the yard projects. The 97 year old woman who had the house didn't do any yardwork for the last ten years or so so I have to physically work to get burdock and other problem plants out of the yard as well as pruning ten years of neglect on the trees and bushes on the bank above the house.

If I get anything written at all I'll consider myself lucky, lol.